TWENTY

"Should auld acquaintance be forgot," Sophie sang-mumbled as she skipped down the stairs. "And never brought to mind. Should auld acquaintance be forgot, for auld lang syne."

"I can see that someone's excited for the New Year," Edaline said with a smile. She was in the living room, reading a book. "Any reason in particular?"

Sophie shook her head. "Not really. I'm just happy that it's another New Year. I mean, my birthday's coming up and I'm graduating in four months."

Edaline nodded. "When are you heading over to the Vacker's house?"

"In just a minute," Sophie said. "I just wanted to get a quick snack before getting ready."

"Well, you came at just the right time," Edaline said, getting up from the chair she was sitting in and leading Sophie into the kitchen. "Because I just made cookies."

"Yum," Sophie said when Edaline uncovered a plate of cookies from under a kitchen towel. "Those look good."

"Take as many as you want," She said, turning to the fridge and opening it up. "And, if you want, you can have some milk with them."

Sophie smiled as she grabbed a couple of cookies and poured herself some milk. She ate them slowly, savoring the flavor of the cookie-dough taste and the chocolate chips.

It was really good.

"Well, I'm going to get ready and then head out," Sophie said, wiping her crumby fingers on her pants.

"Okay," Edaline said with a smile. "I'll be down here to say goodbye."

Sophie nodded and ran upstairs to get ready. She dressed up in a golden turtleneck with black leggings and golden flats. She added a few accessories in there and curled her hair, so it was in beachy waves. Lastly, she grabbed her phone and keys before heading back downstairs to say goodbye to Edaline.

As she walked into the living room, she noticed that Grady had joined Edaline on the couch. She walked up behind them and gave them both a big hug and a kiss on the head.

"I'll see you guys in the New Year," Sophie said with a smile.

"See you later kiddo," Grady said at the same time Edaline said, "Have fun! We love you."

Sophie smiled as she left her house and got in her car, started it and made her way to the Vacker's house.

After a few minutes she made it, parked, and walked up to the front door.

When she knocked, the door swung open and Fitz was standing there with a bag of Family-Sized Potato Chips in his hands.

"Hey Fitz..." Sophie said, blinking at him.

Fitz smiled, stepping aside to let her in. "Hey Sophie, everyone's in Alvar's room again—except the twins and Maruca, they're not here yet."

Sophie walked in and crossed her arms over her chest. "Don't tell me they're playing poker again."

Fitz shook his head. "No, we're playing truth or dare. Like this," He motioned the bag of chips in his hands as the two of them walked up the stairs. "This is a dare. Not that it's a bad dare, but it's going to ruin my dinner."

Sophie laughed. "Okay, lead the way."

She and Fitz got to the top of the stairs and walked down the hallway, walking into Alvar's room and seeing everyone sprawled around.