TWENTY-THREE

"No! Don't do it! Dex whispered, his eyes widening.

Biana grinned like a mad-man. "I'm going to do it!"

"Don't you do it!"

"I'm going to do it!"

"Don't you dare!"

"Yep!"

"No—and you did it! Why do I even bother?"

"I don't know why you even care," Biana whispered with a shrug. "It's just a pen."

"Because, I needed that pen." Dex explained. "Now I have to reach my hand onto the dirty floor to pick it up."

"You practically live in your dad's shop," Biana said. "That place is crawling with dirt."

Dex's eyes became beady. "Don't you dare insult my dad's shop. What if I said that your mom's shop is filled with a ton of pointless dresses that belong in the dumpster?"

Biana gasped, but before she could retaliate, Sophie snapped, "Will you two please shut-up? I really don't need Ms. Clarette to glare at us for the tenth time."

"Yes please," Maruca said with a sigh.

"She started it," Dex pressed.

"What are you two, five?" Maruca asked, looking exasperated.

"No, I'm actually eighteen," Dex corrected, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Then you should be more mature," Biana said with a smug smile. "Remember, I'm still only seventeen. I have three more months to be immature."

Dex looked like he was about to explode with anger, but thankfully, the bell rang, and everyone started to head to their lockers.

"So, have you gotten any messages from Calla?" Sophie asked Dex as the walked out of the school together.

Dex nodded. "I meant to tell you in Study Hall, but Biana decided to be annoying." He rolled his eyes. "Anyway, she retired, and her niece took over. She also hired some other people, so we won't be going back."

Sophie nodded, getting sad. "Oh, okay. Did you tell her that we were really sorry?"

"I did," Dex nodded. "She said that it was okay, and she forgave us."

Sophie nodded before they each got in their cars and drove home. As Sophie walked inside, she realized that she needed to Facetime Keefe.

She ran upstairs, not even saying hi to her parents, and plopped onto her bed. She opened up facetime and began to call Keefe with excitement running through her veins.

When he answered, "Hey Foster," she exclaimed, "Happy Birthday!"

Keefe laughed, a wide grin on his face. "Thank you."

"Have you gotten my gift yet?" Sophie asked.

Keefe nodded. "It came in yesterday. But, like a good human being, I decided to wait until you called me to open it."

Sophie opened her mouth to speak, but was cut off by a semi-recognizable voice saying, "Keefe, are you talking to your girlfriend?"

"Yes," Keefe said, turning his head towards the voice.

"Wait, what?" The voice said. "You have a girlfriend?"

Keefe blinked. "Yes. Why would you even ask?"