Chapter 6

An annoyingly loud beeping awoke me from my comforting sleep. I pried my eyes open to see Sofia stirring awake. She rubbed her eyes, looking around in confusion.

                Her eyes widened when she registered the beeping noise.

                “Oh no.” She whispered

                “What?” I asked sitting up. I could feel my hair sticking up in ways that it shouldn’t be. Sofia’s glanced from me to the window opposite me.

                “Quick!” She said “Get under the bench!”

                “Wh-what?” I asked, confused.

                She grabbed my shoulder, forcing me onto the ground. I hissed as my elbow roughly banged against the edge of the bench. Sofia ignored my cry of pain, forcing my body to roll underneath the bench I had laid on.

                “Keep your back to me.” She ordered, shoving me further in. The beeping sounded more urgent, louder. “Breathe as quietly as possible.”

                “Ok.” I said. I didn’t know if I could breathe at all in the tight space I was forced into.

                Confusion fogged my mind.       

                What was happening?

                “Sofia.” A deeper voice said. It was female, too high for a man’s, but definitely from someone much older than Sofia.

                I clamped a hand over my mouth, looking through the small view I had from under the bench. Sofia was sitting in the chair speaking with someone on the screen. I could make out few features from the girl Sofia was speaking to.

                She had long brown hair.

                That was about it.

                “Missy.” Sofia responded in a formal tone.

                “Where do you think you’re going with an unregistered Craft?” The new girl asked sternly. Sofia’s body cringed when she realized she had been caught.

                For a supposed genius, Sofia had made such a dumb move.

                No matter what kind of Craft you had, it needed to be registered with the government. This took a couple days to process and until then you weren’t allowed to drive it.

                It was because of the War that we needed this policy on both sides.

                To drive around in an unregistered Craft was clearly a stupid thing. Anyone who wanted to could check your information and when nothing came up, report you to the authorities.

                “I’m sorry, Missy, I have an emergency.” Sofia said innocently

                “Something so important that you’re traveling half way around the world with an unregistered Craft?” Missy asked, surprised “Don’t you think that’s a little risky?”

                “I know, I know” Sofia waved her off “But come on. Who actually goes around and checks to see if people are driving registered Crafts or not?”

                “Uh… that’s kind of my job, you dummy.” Missy laughed once “If I didn’t have this position, you’d be feeling the rather of Fen.”