Chapter 8

It was a long trek back to the Craft. It seemed longer than normal, though I knew it wasn’t. I watched Sofia as she walked, noticing the harshness of her strides. She seemed to be deep in thought, presumably over the conversation we had just had.

                I kept my eyes averted from the cruel glares of the girls along the street sides. My heart beat rapidly in fear.

                Sofia led us out of the city and back to where we had parked the Craft. She unlocked it, walking in first. I closed the door behind me, sealing it shut tight.

                “You ok?” I asked her. Sofia turned to me, her arms crossed.

                She huffed “I’m fine, I guess. I really thought that I would get something out of that lady for Missy.”

                I scratched the back of my head nervously, “Sorry.”

                “Don’t be.” Sofia ran a hand through her hair, looking around. I noticed how she wouldn’t meet my eyes “Girls are too judgmental for you to have been accepted peacefully.”

                “To be fair, I am kind of the enemy…” I trailed off.

                “But they don’t know that.” She crossed her arms. “Look, I need to call Missy so… you kind of have to hide.”

                I frowned, glancing back towards the under of the bench. I groaned loudly.

                She rolled her eyes “That was a split second choice that was clearly stupid. You’re not hiding there.”

                I raised an eyebrow, “Then where do you plan to store me?”

                She nodded her head towards the cut out on the dash board. It was wide, a place to rest your legs while driving the Craft. It appeared that I would be stuck in the fetal position until she was done with her phone conversation.

                “Really?” I frowned, still not liking the idea.

                “Get going.” She held back a smirk as I solemnly walked over to the crawl space. I crouched down, bringing my knees into my chest.

                Sofia sat in the chair before me. She held back a grin, looking down at my pathetic position. I glared at her.

                “You can stretch your legs out.” She suggested “No one can see if you do.”

                I took her advice.

                It felt a lot better than before.

                She rolled her eyes, fingers typing away. Sofia glanced down at me, warning me to keep quiet.

                A few seconds later, I heard the familiar voice.

                “Did you get anything, Soph?” Her sister asked hopefully.

                Sofia’s face was somber as she spoke, “I spoke to her mother. She kind of kicked me out after saying that she hadn’t heard from Zee in years.”

                Missy sighed, “Anything else?””

                “She said that Zee could either be on the Boy’s Side or raising a kid.”