Chapter 4

For the first time, I found my thoughts not of Ellie or John. My mind was wrapped around the mystery girl.

                What was her name? And why did she think it was so important to keep it from me?

                But more importantly, I wondered what the favor would be.

                It could be anything. Without thinking properly, I had volunteered myself for virtually anything in the world.

                I didn’t like the fact that she held so many secrets when I had opened up to her. Maybe Ellie really was the only exception to the female race.

                I shook my head, clearing my thoughts.

                I took notice how the girl didn’t come downstairs for quite a while, leaving me to ponder over what she could possibly be named.

                I had no idea where I was located, so I wasn’t sure what culture it would be from. Of course, I didn’t know how the Girls Side worked very well. I had been a drop-out, never finding it necessary to continue the last year of schooling.

                It was based on the study of females to males. All the classes were directed at understanding why we were in a war to begin with, and why it was necessary to win. It went into further detail on what life was like before the war, and it gave you a glimpse at life on the other side.

                At the time, I had no interest in going the front line military, the only men who saw any action in this war. I dropped out, knowing they wouldn’t use someone like me until absolutely necessary.

                Only now did I start to regret my decision. I had always had Ellie or John to rely on for answers. I never had too many questions in my head that couldn’t be answered.

                I didn’t know if I could trust this mystery girl.

                She hadn’t given me her name. That couldn’t have been a good sign.

                Of course, she didn’t know my name either as far as I was aware. I didn’t know the technology they had, and could only hope it wouldn’t give it away.

                I stood up, walking about my prison. I didn’t know how many days I’d been here. It couldn’t have been more than a week, I hoped.

                The walls were indented where the cement held the bricks together. This was an old house, clearly. I ran my fingers gently along the cold walls.

                I leaned my forehead against it, bracing a hand on either side. I took a deep breath, trying to steady myself. Thinking about school had brought up unwanted memories of John. We had been friends for as long as I could remember and now all I wanted to do was kill him.

                Maybe he had been right.

                Maybe Ellie wasn’t good for me.

                I slammed my hand against the wall, feeling the sting. My wrist shot up in pain as I struck it, causing me to hiss out in pain.

                I was wrong. Ellie was perfect for me. She brought feelings I had never felt before. They felt too good to be wrong.

                John was wrong.

                He was the reason I was here, after all. Friends don’t let friends end up on enemy sides.