Chapter 13

Sofia whirled around, glaring at John furiously, “Is this true?!”

                John didn’t answer. A smirk played across his lips. He kept his eyes down, avoiding contact with us.

                Sofia glanced between us, her expression hard to read.

                “So what’s it going to be, Sophe?” I asked, keeping my voice neutral.  I held back the anger that I usually had if John was around.

                She opened her mouth as if to speak, but no words came out.

                I waited patiently for an answer.

                Sofia looked at me, her eyes wide. “I… I don’t even know, Clay. I’m so confused. I just…”

                I crossed my arms, frowning. “Is it really that hard, Sofia? He used and tricked one of your own. I think eliminating him in the number one option at this point.”

                She bit her lip, “But Cassie…”

                “Her memory can be tampered with, can’t it?” I pushed, “You’re smart enough. You’d only need to mess with it a little. John couldn’t have been on this side more than a month.”

                “I don’t know…”

                “Don’t tell me he’s getting to you to!” I roared.

                John chuckled darkly. I glared at him, daring him to speak. No one wanted him here. Why couldn’t Sofia see reason behind his lies? He was better off dead.

                “Just give it some time. A few days. Once we get back, we can discuss this then.” Sofia offered. I narrowed my eyes, contemplating what she was saying. “Or we can set them free.”

                “You’ll be punished too if they catch you.”

                “I can manage to find a way to free myself if the situation calls for. You, on the other hand, cannot.” She warned.

                I sighed, closing my eyes for a moment. I tilted my head back, breathing out slowly. She was right. “Alright. Three days. And then he’s dead.”

                “We’ll see about that.” Sofia mumbled under her breath.

                It was silent for a moment. I stared up at the ceiling, trying to calm myself down. She was a hassle at times. Ellie was never this resistant to my ideas when she was alive. Sofia was much harder to handle.

                “So what time are we getting back?” John asked.

                “Don’t talk.” I ordered.

                Sofia ignored me, answering, “Soon.”

                “How soon is ‘soon’?” John ignored me.

                I shot him a look.

                “Soon.” She repeated. I shot her a look to which she ignored, her eyes focused on the screen before her.

                ~*~

                “Clayton.” A soft voice whispered in my ear.