Chapter 18

“No, no, no, no,” Mimi backed up in her frozen position, raising her hands in defense. As if her hands could defend the bullet. “Sofia, this isn’t you. Put the gun down. We can talk this out. Please, Sofia, I’m your cousin.

                “You’re jeopardizing my safety.” Sofia said.

                “Please, Sofia!”

                Sofia bit her bottom lip, not breaking her eyes from Mimi. “I’m sorry, Mimi. I am. But do you really think I have another choice?”

                I looked back and forth between the girls, my heart pounding in my chest. My hands shook rapidly by my side. I sucked in short gasps of air between my slightly parted lips. The tension in the room was thick. I could almost feel Sofia cracking under Mimi’s attempts to fight for her own life. That thought alone was enough to send fear through my veins.

                “Yes!” Mimi shouted. Her eyes were wide, pleading with Sofia to let her go. “Yes! You always have! Put the gun down!”

                “And let you go to the authorities?”

                “I won’t let them take you away, Sofia! I love you!”

                She loved her? I couldn’t help the small thought of surprise pass through my mind. I didn’t realize girls had that kind of thing on this side. Homosexuality had always been frowned upon on the Boys’ Side.

                Sofia’s next words brought me back to the situation we were currently in.

                The life or death one.

                Sofia snorted, rolling her eyes, “You needed a place to stay Mimi, and because I loved you, I let you. I really shouldn’t have.”

                “Sofia—!”

                “None of this would’ve happened if you simply hadn’t come, Mimi, don’t you see? And now that you’ve come, you’re going to ruin everything!”

                “What?!”

                Sofia sighed, shaking her head. Her eyes shimmered in the light, red around the edges, “I’m so sorry, Mimi, I really am. I have to.”

                “You’re picking that over me?!” Anger flashed through Mimi’s eyes.

                “Apparently!”

                “You hate boys! They’re the enemy! Why the hell are you protecting him and threatening to kill your family?!”

                Sofia shook her head, “You never understood. No one ever did. They’re not the enemy. We’re all humans. We’re genetically made to coincide.”

                “These are just lies!” Mimi’s head turned my way, her eyes cold and dark, “YOU! You’re the reason she’s out of her mind!”

                “Shut the hell up!” Sofia screamed.

                I couldn’t bring myself to even talk. I was in pure shock at how this situation had turned and at what was happening.

                Mimi closed her mouth silently, her eyes falling back on Sofia. But not before she shot me a look of pure hatred.

                Sofia ignored that.