Chapter 12

Sofia awoke a few hours later. She shifted her body uncomfortably on my lap, causing me to awaken too. I groaned, pulling her back against me, trying to stop her from moving.

                She laughed, pushing away. “Stop, Clayton.”

                I released her, rubbing my eyes, “What time is it?”

                “Nine.” Sofia said, sounding surprised. “We slept in for a while.”

                I stood up, stretching my stiff body. I felt my joints crack as I moved, my back sore from the uncomfortable position I had been sleeping in.

                I glanced over at the two prisoners of ours. John was sleeping upright, a small trail of drool falling out of his mouth. Cassie was curled against his arm, pressing her body as close to John’s as she possibly could.

                I looked at Sofia noticing the disgust in her face.

                “That’s just pathetic.” She said, more to herself than me.

                “What is?” I asked, grabbing her attention. She glanced at me, crossing her arms around her waist.

                “Just the fact that we’re supposed to be in a war with you boys, and Cassie’s basically worshipping one.”

                I chuckled, “If I do remember correct, you don’t seem to have a gun point on me.”

                She raised an eyebrow, “Oh, you’d be surprised, Clayton. I don’t trust you as much as you think I do.”

                I frowned, “What do you mean?”

                “I may like you, Boy, but we’re still in a way and I can’t trust you just yet.”

                “But I thought…”

                “That I don’t believe in this?” She finished. “You’re right, but seriously, I can’t risk getting myself killed.”

                I thought for a moment, “So does this mean you’ve got a gun on me right now?”

                She laughed slightly, pausing before answering, “Not quite. But I know three different ways to incapacitate you if you tried anything.”

                “Oh.” I raised an eyebrow, impressed.

                She smiled gently at me.

                It was silent for a moment. Sofia walked over to the controls, messing around with the buttons. I glanced over at the sleeping prisoners thoughtfully.

                John stirred slightly, Cassie’s grip tightening around him.

                “I wonder what he said.” I thought aloud.

                “Hmm?” Sofia asked

                I glanced back at her, meeting her eyes, “John to Cassie. What he said to trick her into believing he was a good guy.”

                “That’s a very good question.” She said, sounding preoccupied.

                My stomach growled hungrily. I put a hand over top of it, my face heating up. I hadn’t eaten in what felt like forever.