Chapter 11

“I—I…” I trailed off, not sure how to answer. I blinked, staring at the scene us.

                John was lying passed out on the floor, his body curled up. Blood was smeared against his cheek, a few drops on the floor. He didn’t seem to be severely injured, just unconscious. The girl, Cassie, was curled up near him, whimpering slightly.

                She didn’t look so tough anymore.

                Sofia sat next to me, eyes wide in surprise. “I can’t believe…what are we going to do now?”

                “I…” I didn’t have an answer for her.

                She stood up slightly, examining the two in front of us. I followed her lead shakily, still in shock from the fight that had just happened.

                “We need to get out of here.” I said.

                She stared at me incredulously, “Are you insane?”

                “Sofia, we can’t stay around here for when John comes to.”

                “They’ll call the authorities and it’ll be my ass in trouble!”

                I frowned, “Do you really think they’ll call the authorities while John’s here? That’s a little risky…”

                Sofia shook her head, “You don’t get it. John clearly has some smarts if he managed to brainwash a girl. He’ll find an excuse as to why he’s on the Girls’ Side.”

                “Then we’ll just say I’m a DQ. Isn’t your sister with the authorities?”

                Sofia groaned, “She works with transportation! Cassie’s a Fed. Do you know what that is?”

                I shook my head hesitantly.

                “A Fed is short for federal. Does that help at all?” She prompted

                I felt my face flush, “Oh…”

                “Yeah” She said, annoyed, “Her story will override any that my sister could fabricate.”

                “How do you know she’s a Fed? She didn’t exactly say so…” I frowned, not wanting to believe she was. The look on Sofia’s face said otherwise.

                “Her wrist was marked.” Sofia lifted her own wrist to my eyes. I frowned, noticing a small dot in the shape of a plus sign.

                “What does that mean?”

                “That means I’m undetermined yet” Sofia frowned slightly, “Well, I knew what I was going to be, I just hadn’t finished schooling for it.”

                “What does this matter?” I asked, confused.

                Sofia groaned with annoyance, “Cassie had one on her wrist too. It was the Fed symbol.”

                I hesitated. This couldn’t be real. John hadn’t seriously found one of the more influential girls to brainwash. “Are you sure that was the symbol for a Fed?”

                Sofia nodded, staring off at the girl. Cassie didn’t appear to have the brute force required to be a federal agent for the FIA, which struck me as peculiar. Her body was curled into a ball, only a few inches away from John’s unconscious one. It almost appeared like she was slowly moving closer to him for comfort.