Chapter 15

A scream echoed through the entire house.

                I was froze, my eyes wide with fear. I stared at the girl before me as she stared back, both of us equally afraid.

                I snapped out of my state of terror, standing up slowly.

                She screamed, backing away slightly, “What the hell are you going in here?!”

                I raised my hands up peacefully, but she didn’t seem to notice. The girl was backing up quickly, stumbling over her own feet. I didn’t move anymore, my heart beating.

                Where was Sofia?

                The girl reached around, trying to find something to defend herself with. Her eyes never left me. She was panting, her chest rising up and down in fear.

                I still hadn’t moved.

                “Please—” I said, trying to get her to calm down.

                “Shut the hell up!” She screamed, “Just shut up!”

                I closed my mouth, trying to keep her calm. I made a small motion with my hands as if to say, I did, see?.

                She was still breathing heavily, blindly searching for something-anything-to fight me with. As if it would come down to that. I wasn’t going to make any advances towards her. Any fight that started would be her fault.

                “How did you get in here?” She asked, trying to sound intimidating. The screams of terror sort of ruined that look.

                I opened my mouth to speak, when she cut me off.

                “Don’t speak!”

                But didn’t she just…?

                Nonetheless, I complied with her wishes.

                She took a deep breath, trying to steady herself before she spoke again, “I have a gun.”

                She didn’t.

                I didn’t move.

                I didn’t want to do anything that could upset her and react badly.

                Where was Sofia?!

                The girl took another breath, “This is what’s going to happen. You’re going to stay there and not move. I need to make a call real quick—”

                “No!” I shouted, moving towards her, “Don’t you dare!”

                She screamed, running out of the room without looking back. I cussed, following after her. I couldn’t let her tell the authorities about us. I didn’t mind about John getting caught, but I needed to keep my own ass saved.

                She raced up the stairs, stumbling as she climbed. She glanced back, screaming again when her eyes landed on my face.

                “Please! Stop!” I begged, trying to sound calm and sincere, “I mean no harm!”

                “Get away! Get away! Get away!” She screamed, running into a room.

                I chased after her to see her on the opposite side of the bed. She darted to the right, I darted to the right. She darted to the left, I followed her move.