Chapter 1

-Melanie's pov-

After spending 6 years in America I'm finally coming home to the Philippines!

"Mama! I'm home!" I opened the door excitedly.

"Ate! Ate!" My younger brother hugged me and my other siblings soon followed suit and almost tackled me.

"Calm down!" I said with a laugh.

"Oh, Melanie, you came early! I'm still cooking!" She peeked her head out of the kitchen to tell me.

"No, mama, I'm not early, I'm actually a bit late..." I said checking my watch.

'Oh, actually I was very late... Jeez city traffic is the worst...'

We lived in Manila, our house wasn't in the city because we couldn't afford it, it was a small house, the neighborhood was a bit iffy but I could've bought a house somewhere safer, but my grandparents insisted on staying here since this is where they raised my mother and their other children.

"What's for dinner, mama?" I asked going into the kitchen to help her.

"Pork adobo with boiled egg and potatoes," she said adding a pinch of salt-lolling msg to the Adobo.

"Sounds really good," I said taking a sniff.

"Robert! What happened to the rice you're cooking?!" My mom shouted.

"I turned down the heat already po!" I laugh and remember all the times I accidentally burnt the rice.

"Oh, so how was it in America?" She asked.

"Mmm... It was ok, but I like it here more," I said washing dishes.

"Haaay, of course you like it here more! You probably burned the rice there also!" I look at her feeling wronged.

"We had a rice cooker po, so I didn't burn rice there!" then she laughed.

"Leave the dishes first, go greet your papa, Lolo, and Lola, " she said preparing what looks like Leche flan.

I tried to sneak one little container out but it was a bit hot and--

"I already counted those," said my mother rinsing the dishes, her back turned to me.

I pitifully put back the Leche flan and went upstairs to greet everyone.

"Hi, papa," I said is a blessed him.

"Hello, po, Lolo, and, Lola," I said doing the same to them.

"Oh, you're so big already, Melanie!" Commented my grandfather.

My grandmother laughed and pinched my cheeks.

"When you were little you had such cute chubby cheeks! It's a good thing you still have them,"

"Oh, Melanie, did you help your mama already?" My papa asked.

"Yes, papa," I said obediently.

"Why don't you play first with your siblings? They've been so excited to see you," he smiled.

I nodded my head and went back down stairs and onto the road.