Chapter 13

Trigger warning!: this chapter may reference rape. If you want to read the story but skip the scene that references rape please stop reading after "I see, then I'll take my leave, Grand Duke," and skip to the next available chapter.

"What had happened to Count Jules?" I asked, curiously.

"Someone had tried to kill him," she answered gravely.

"And you think lady Madeline could be involved?" I probed.

"Goodness no! Lady Madeline has been nothing but an angel," she said gently.

"But... We've been avid supporters of Prince Andrew and I might think that has something to do with it," she commented worriedly.

"But prince Andrew and Prince Viktor have been on quite good terms," I said with slight confusion.

"Even if prince Viktor isn't willing to take the throne his faction knows no bounds! They're rebelling in more ways than one, remember baroness Verte?" She asked in a slight panic.

I thought for a moment. "And the kingdom of Verdian?" I asked as she shook her head.

"The kingdom of Verdian has nothing to gain and everything to lose by supporting a prince, they're maintaining neutrality," she said in a serious voice.

"What were you and your family doing in Verdian in the first place?" I asked, suspicious.

"I heard from a friend that a restaurant with a new kind of cuisine was opening in Verdian, and we wanted to be the first in the empire to try it, maybe franchise it," she answered with sincerity.

"And Lady Madeline? She was at the opening as well?" I asked as she shook her head.

"Lady Madeline owns the place. She was the one who invented the cuisine," she smiled.

I looked at her like she was crazy, "A noble woman that can cook? How intresting..."

"When my husband was stabbed she treated him using cloth to stop his bleeding," she added as my skepticism grew.

"A noble woman who can cook and has medical knowledge... Hm... Yes, I wonder when exactly I can meet this extraordinary young woman that you praise," I said with a silent laugh.

"The annulment. Were you being serious?" I glanced.

It took time for her to respond but she nodded.

"Then it will be as you wish," I smiled.

"Thank you, Grand Duke, I will take care of the palimony--,"

"No, this annulment is a very good gift itself, I don't need palimony," I said joyfully.

"I see, then I'll take my leave, Grand Duke,"

-------------------

I'm back to school again and more and more people seem to fawn over me after what happened over the weekend.

"Madeline, I heard what happened, are you alright?" Prince Sorin asked worriedly, approaching me.

"I'm sorry I wasn't there..." he apologized, holding my hand.

"I-It's alright, your highness, you were busy in the Kingdom of Lexin were you not?" I asked, gently trying to pull my hand away.

"I promise I'll make it up to you," he smiled.

"There's no need, your highness, I know you're busy," I rejected nicely.

"Nonsense, I--," just then sir Carter arrived, knocking me down in his hurry.