Chapter 12

I gawked at her audacity for a little while as my mother screeched.

"Don't you dare talk about my daughter like that!" My mother reached out to pull her hair when my father stopped her just in time.

But my mother's nail scratched Vanessa's face as the nobles sneered back.

"Slut," one commented.

"She deserved it," a lady laughed.

"If I was Lady Madeline, I would have done worse..." scowled another noble.

"Mother, please, I'm fine," I smiled.

"... Carla..." My father pleaded worriedly.

"You've over stayed your welcome here, Lady Vanessa. I'll have to ask you to leave," I said with a stern voice.

"Your father, Count Jules, will be transferred to a nearby hospital, and don't worry about the healer fees, I'll pay for it since this took place in my establishment, but my one condition is that you leave--," I stood there shocked once more by this audacious female dog.

She had splashed water in my face then smiled smugly.

"Madeline!" My sister called, worriedly as I held my hand up gesturing for her to stop.

"Fine, then I'm leaving," she said, turning for the door.

"I'm so sorry! I'm very sorry!" Her mother apologized again over and over on the verge of tears.

I smiled, "Madame Verina, you have been nothing but cooperative, you have done nothing wrong. Lady Vanessa was the one being unreasonable, but the Countess seems like a very good lady," I said, turning her around.

"Now please, your husband is waiting for you," I smiled kindly.

She smiled at me gratefully then left.

Just then a magic messenger came to me. It was the guards. They had caught the assassin.

"I extend my apologies to all the guests here, that you had to witness something so vile and unsightly. The assassin was caught and will be interrogated and I ask some nobles to please stay and cooperate with the investigators that will come shortly and testify what you all saw, " I said calmly, and gracefully, though my dress was soaking wet.

"Lady Madeline has such a good temperament," they praised.

"She's definitely worthy of being the crown princess," a lady giggled.

"No wonder the prince chose her," another noble commented.

All the nobles stood and bowed their heads in recognition.

"We will do as you say, crown princess," A noble said as others followed.

I turned red in embarrassment.

"Lady Madeline, you must change your clothes or you might fall ill again," Commented Amelia worriedly.

Suddenly I felt a coat drape my shoulders.

I looked to my side and saw that it was sir Carter who gave it to me.

"Thank you," I smiled as Patricia and Amelia escorted me to my office to change.

"She's even worse than Odessa," Amelia said angrily.

"It's a good thing I stopped myself from throwing a fireball at her!" Fumed Patricia.

It's a good thing I had brought an extra dress in case food would be spilled on my original outfit.

But never would I have thought that my outfit would be ruined like this.