Chapter 6

Scouting the school grounds was the masked master of the magic tower who searched for a girl that emitted a dark energy. He had attended the winter ball with information that there would be an interesting event there.

He was especially shocked when he saw the prince perform the opening dance with a strange woman instead of the duke's second daughter his fiancé.

He wouldn't look like it but the master of the magic tower was one to enjoy such drama.

He watched as Madeline enjoyed her sweet treats with her sister and acted as if nothing was wrong.

"Now, where's the fun in that..." He spoke as he twirled his wine round and round.

He saw the prince approach his fiancé with his woman still clinging on to him.

I couldn't make out their entire conversation but I did hear the prince question Lady Madeline.

"Fine, get your own cake, I was merely recommending a dessert that I fancied... You would know I liked strawberry if you ever paid any attention to me," her face was straight as she pointed a fork at the prince.

The masked man couldn't stifle his laughter. This was not the Madeline Riverstead that he had heard of in the rumors.

"How bold of you to assume that you were the target of my sister's insult. Have you any evidence that my sister has any motive to insult you? It's not like you're cheating on your fiancé that you've been with since young right?" She was quite feisty and smiled sarcastically.

She was left alone and I had wanted to test her temperament for myself by bumping into her. When I did she apologized unlike a proud noble would.

"Why are you apologizing? I was clearly the one who bumped into you,"

She brushed me off politely and I asked her for her name.

"Maybe if you remember my face you'll find out on your own," she laughed then walked away.

She was quick witted and didn't trust easy. Just then I felt pure dark energy. I tried to look for the source but the dark fog was to thick for me to see the source. I decided to retreat for now and I'd scout every student here later on.

-----------------

"Lady Madeline, you have a visitor," I was reading up on magic books and curiously told the maid that I'll come down in a second.

"Maria, could you please braid my hair?" I asked sweetly as she blushed and agreed.

I came down and saw that it was that energetic young lady.

"Miss Patricia? I didn't think you'd visit me directly," I laughed.

"O-Oh, I just thought that now that we're friends I could just drop by anytime," she said fiddling with her flame red hair.

"Maybe next time send a letter so that I could prepare better but this is fine too," I laughed.

We talked for hours and it turned out that she was just starting to work at the magic tower when she was sent to the school to unlock her magic potential.

"Patricia? May I ask you something?"

"Yes?"

"Are you... Not bothered by me?" I ask with a blank smile.

"Bothered by what? Oh! If it's because I'm a commoner and you're a noble then--," I quickly wave my hands.

"No, I meant my skin color,"

"... Yes? What about it?" She asked confused.

"Never mind, follow me," I said leading her to the kitchen.