Chapter 17

"Madeline, I won't lie, I had personally asked Odessa to take care of you... But I can assure you that nothing happened other than that, and many can testify that I'm telling the truth," he explained worriedly.

"I'm not worried about that, my prince," I smiled as he sighed in relief.

"I want to see lady Colleen," I pleaded.

He looked surprised then carefully stroked my head.

"You haven't changed. You still care more about others than you do yourself... I'm so sorry..." Sorin said gently.

I stayed silent for a bit.

"Do... Do you remember when we were little? You would always cry to my mother when I teased you," he laughed quietly.

Madeline's memories flashed in my head and I nodded.

"I didn't notice it before, but you stopped wearing your promise ring... Could you tell me when?" he asked sadly.

A golden amethyst ring, he gifted it to Madeline on her 13th birthday before his mother died.

He promised to always take care of her, protect her and cherish her as his one and only bride...

After Sorin killed Eleanor in the book, they did mention that that was when Madeline took off the ring.

But while he was openly cheating on her, she still wore the ring in hopes to silently remind him of his promise.

But when I woke up as Madeline, I forgot about the ring's existence. It must still be in the estate.

"Winter break," I replied.

"... I see..." his face twisted in pain.

"I'll make you a new ring. Another promise," he said determined.

"What? What if you break--..." I cut myself off mid sentence.

I probably shouldn't have said that... It just came out.

"I can see how you still distance yourself from me. I don't expect your trust, but I'm begging for a chance. Please, Madeline, this promise will be bound by blood, if I hurt you again... I--," I quickly interrupted him, knowing what he was talking about.

A blood pact between two people, a pact made with blood will also end in blood... If he breaks his promise he'll die, and I really wouldn't want to be attached to him in such a way.

"Your word is enough for me, Sorin. I don't want to bind you to me like this," I replied hastily.

"I can't hurt you again, Madeline. So I will bear this consequence if I do," he said seriously.

"Sorin... It would hurt even worse knowing your blood would be on my hands when I love you enough to let you live and be happy with who you choose," I reasoned.

"You really loved me that much?" he asked, deeply touched.

I instantly regretted it but it's the fastest way out of a blood pact.

"Yes," I replied with a fake smile.

"Then... I'll work hard, I'll try my hardest to get back what I have foolishly lost," he smiled brightly as I laughed a bit.

He's actually cute. Like a puppy.

"Let me help you up, Madeline," he said, gently pulling me out of bed, my legs wobbling a bit.

"Thank you, Sorin," I smiled as he left to call my maid so I could change.

After changing I heard that lady Colleen was resting in her room in the senior girl's dorm.