Chapter 4 | My Power

"I was born with a power. And it's the power to learn a person's deepest, darkest secret.

As you know, I don't really have any friends. It's not that nobody talks to me or that I'm disliked. The truth is, I distance myself from everybody for my power only works on those who are closest to me.

It's actually quite simple. If you and I have a close relationship, or your secret is revealed and I happen to hear it, I will see your deepest and darkest secret. My surroundings will disappear and I will see some of your memories, and maybe even feel some of them. It's never really pleasant. Thankfully, once I've learned the secret, I never see things again.

But I've always felt bad since I knew people's secrets without their permission. So as a result, I distanced myself. I was so lonely but in my mind it was worth it. Then I heard about you and wanted to befriend you. I thought that my powers wouldn't work on a supernatural but... I guess I was wrong so I'm sorry." I apologize.

(third person pov)

The girl stares at the floor. This is a side of her that she tries to keep concealed. She tries to act like the normal, kind, innocent, naive high school girl but she's been through a lot. Her powers have brought so much pain to her and everybody around her. Her birth parents included.

Hanako watched as the girl sighed, still staring at the tiles on the floor. Even if Hanako tried, he couldn't be mad at the girl. She really did sound sorry. Like she truly didn't mean to.

"Hey, you saved my life so I owe you one." Hanako says, standing up. "Let's make a deal. If you promise to tell nobody about any of this, and help me out from time to time, I'll be your friend!" (y/n) looks at the boy. "Help you with what?" she asks.

"I am the 7th of the 7 school wonders! I have duties I need to fulfill. Help me with them, and keep everything you learned a secret. And we can be best friends!" "Are you stupid? Trading labor for friendship is outrageous!" (y/n) snaps. "Is what I'd like to say but I have a new duty called babysitting you so I suppose the help will be mutual." Hanako smiles and sticks out his hand.

(y/n) looks at the hand. "Before we shake on it, how could Minamoto see you? And why does he want to kill you?" "Oh, Teru Minamoto is part of the Minamoto clan. They're an exorcist clan whose job is to exorcise evil spirits. He can see me because he has the exorcist blood. Can't be an exorcist if you can't see supernaturals!"

"You've got to me kidding me. So I have to keep an eye on you AND him? Gee, that's just more work." (y/n) sighs. Hanako wiggles the fingers on his outstretched hand. (y/n) sighs before taking his hand and shaking it.

"Pleasure doing business with you, (y/n)." Hanako says. "Yeah, yeah, same here. Now let go before you drain all the heat from my hand." "Aw, but your hand is so warm!" "My hand isn't warm, yours is just dead." "Why do you have to be so harsh?" "Why are you gripping my hand tighter?!" "It's warm!" "And it's MY hand!" "But I like it!" "Then wear some gloves or something! I don't need frostbite!" "My hand can't give you frostbite!" "Yes it can!" "No it can't! "Yes it can!" "No it can't!"

Time skip......

"Dammit!" (y/n) mutters to herself. She closes her backpack and leans back in her chair. She forgot her lunch. The girl sighs and decides to review notes from class. She takes out her notebooks and is about to put them on the table when she notices that Minamoto's glasses were sitting on her desk. Huh, I don't remember putting those there.

(y/n) picks up the glasses and gently tucks them back into her backpack. She turns around, ready to start reviewing her notes when the glasses reappeared on her desk. In shock, she checked the pocket in which she just put her glasses in but they were gone. Hanako.