Chapter 9 | Confession Tree

The lunch bell finally rings. (y/n) eagerly packs her things and puts on her glasses. "Don't you seem excited, packing your things so quickly. You wanted to see me that badly?" The girl nearly falls out of her chair.

"You really have to stop scaring me like that!" she hisses under her breath so that nobody else can hear her. "Aw, but it's so fun." The girl rolls her eyes. "I have to go." she whispers. "What? Where?" "The confession tree remember? I'll be back in 10 minutes. Bye."

The girl shuffled out of the room and was gone. She's going to go to the confessions tree?! Why?! Who is she meeting there? Is she going to confess or be confessed too? I need to see this! The boy quietly followed (y/n) from a distance as she arrived at the confession tree.

There stood Minamoto, already waiting. Hanako hid behind the school building, just close enough to hear what they were saying. "Hello, (y/n)." Minamoto greets. "Hello Minamoto-senpai!" (y/n) responds happily. "Was there something you needed to tell me?" he asks.

The girl shuffles. I know this is fake and all but the student council president! That's stressful noting how much everybody likes him. "Um.. yes!" she says. "You see, I... I really like you!"

Hanako freezes. She... she likes Minamoto! His heart sank. Of course she does! Who doesn't! I shouldn't be surprised... But why do I feel so... Whatever! Minamoto will turn her down, I know it! He has to! Right? "I'm sorry but... I just don't feel the same way. I like somebody else." Minamoto replies, scratching the back of his head. Yes!

"What?! I'm sorry?! When somebody confesses, the proper thing to do is reciprocate!" (y/n) stares at the tree as a face appears on the trunk. "Now tell me your woes. What's wrong? Is there something on your mind? Why do you not like her?" he asks.

(y/n) backs away. Minamoto stands in front of her. "Just stay behind me and everything will be ok-" "(y/n)!" The two turn around to see Hanako sprinting towards them. Hanako grabs the girls hand and yanks her towards him. "W-what? Hanako what are you doing here?" the girl stutters.

"Protecting you from that!" Hanako says, pointing at the tree with his knife. "A school wonder! I have done nothing besides improving relationships and healing broken hearts!" The tree retorts. "Well maybe you should learn to mind your own business!" Minamoto shouts as he takes out his sword.

The two boys run up to the tree, their weapons in hand, and slice the tree into 3rds. And with a bright while flashes the tree now shrank. (y/n) walked over to the now broccoli sized tree. "All that time saving up rumors just to be reduced to shrubbery!" the little guy shouts.

"Aw, he's kinda cute!" the girl says, patting the tree on the head. "Don't touch me!" It hisses. Minamoto smiles. "Anyways, thanks (y/n) for helping me!" the boy says. "Helping you?" Hanako asks. "Yeah, don't you remember? We made a deal while you were fake sleeping to meet up here and destroy the confession tree," the girl says.

"O-oh yeah! I remember!" Hanako stutters. I should've known! She doesn't actually like Minamoto! "I honestly felt like the entire school was staring while I confessed my love. Honestly kinda stressful." she says, laughing a bit. "I'm sorry. You did a really good job though!" Minamoto replies, cheerfully.

Hanako furrows his eyebrows. He wraps his arms around (y/n) and pulls her close to his chest. "Well, now that we're done here, (y/n) promised to spend some quality time with me after destroying the tree!" he huffs. "Is that so?" Minamoto asks. "Um, I-I did say I'd come back to the classroom when I was d-done!" she stutters as Hanako pulls her closer to his chest.

"See? Now that she's done I'll be taking her away. Chao." he says, staring at the student council president. "Okay, but I need to ask her one last thing." Minamoto says. "The student council treasurer has moved to another town. I heard you're good at math, would you like to take his place?"

"Really? You mean it? I'd lo-" "She is not interested at all!" Hanako shouts over (y/n), covering her mouth. The girl grabs Hanako's hand and yanks it off her mouth. "What? I'm-" Hanako slaps his hand on her mouth again. "She doesn't want to do it! She hates math!" Hanako continues. The girl grabs his hand but it doesn't budge.

"Hanako, I think you're suffocating her." Minamoto points out. Hanako looks down at the light headed girl. "Oh." he releases his grip on her mouth and she gasps. She pushes the boy away and shouts at him. "What do you mean I hate math! I don't hate it at all! In fact, I like math and I would love to be the student council treasurer! I don't know what you're trying to do but I'm going to become the next student council treasurer and that's final!" she huffs.

Hanako stares at her in shock. "But-" "No buts!" Hanako blinks as he stares at her blankly. "You're grounded," This time the girl blinks. "For a month." Hanako finishes. The girl stares at the ground. Silence fills the atmosphere. "We have a few other potential candidates if you can't..." Minamoto mentions. "I'm sorry." "It's okay." Minamoto chuckles. The bell rings. Minamoto and Hanako both look up at the big clock on campus.

"I guess it's time for class." Minamoto points out. (y/n) look up at the clock too. "Y-yeah. Um, I'll go. Nice talking with you!" she says, smiling and waving goodbye at the two boys. The boys smile and wave as the girl leaves. The second she is out of sight the smiles dissolve.

"I see you've taken an interest in her, No. 7" Minamoto says, looking forward instead of at the apparition. "Don't you have class?" the apparition asks back. "Study hall. Now tell me, what is it you want with a girl like her?" "I fail to see how this is any of your business." "She is a student here and my job is to protect students like her. Now I'll ask again, what is it that you want from her?"

Hanako looks at the highschool senior and chuckles. "Her labor of course! She helped destroy No. 2's yorishiro and she helped you destroy the tree apparition. She's quite useful isn't she?" he replies, cheerfully. "Is that so, then tell me, what were you doing hiding behind the building when she came to confess her love under the confession tree?"

Hanako raises his eyebrows at the question. "She didn't give me a very detailed answer of where she was going, I was making sure she'd be alright." he states, matter of factly. "Huh, then can you tell me why you blush around her?" "What are you trying to say?" "You like her." "And what is it to you?" Hanako asks.

"Nothing I suppose. Take care of her. If you won't, I will. She's a student. I won't let anything touch her. You included. No funny business. Lives are valued in this school. Keep her safe." Minamoto says. Hanako stares at him. "Naturally."