𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧: 𝐯𝐚𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐞'𝐬 𝐝𝐚𝐲

It was hard to wrestle Nifty into submission when she wouldn't even leave her little cubbyhole in the first place. Hagrid gave you some space in his cabin as you try to coax the Niffler to come out, stepping out the backdoor to feed the other creatures he was taking care of. As tempting as it was to offer help, you were on a mission.

When you tried to reach for Nifty with gentle coos, she knew what you were trying to do. Instead of turning docile like she always did, she slips from your grasp and runs around what space was left of Hagrid's cabin. This ensures a little game of cat and mouse as you try (and fail) to reach for her in tight spaces and tall shelves. Even if you were being considerate of your surroundings, carefully maneuvering around furniture, it was Nifty who constantly knocks things down with her scampering.

Another crash sounded as Nifty pushes a mug over the table. You were too late as you flop on the floor in vain attempts of saving it, hissing under your breath when your knees scrape against the wooden floor. A knock on the front door distracts you.

"Hey, what's happening in there?" Pucey inquires from the other side. "Did you trip and break your neck?"

"I'm fine," you said through gritted teeth, pushing yourself off the floor. "I've almost got her."

A pause, then the faint shuffling of footsteps. "You sure you don't want my help, badger?"

You ponder over his offer before making up your mind. You didn't want to be in debt to him anymore after his help with your poem. Although he was acting a little ruder than he usually was as he pointed out your mistakes, he had taken your intentions seriously and never made fun of you, despite him not understanding your infatuation over the 'glorified golden boy of Hogwarts' as he called him.

"I can do this by myself," you said determinedly. "Just wait right there."

"Alright, then," he responds and you can hear the shrug in his tone. "But if you fall over and die, just know it's not my fault."

You ignore his last remark and looked for Nifty. You spot her hanging on to one of the fur pelts dangling from the ceiling. How she managed to get up there was a mystery, but you will find a way to get her down. Eventually.

It took you a couple more minutes and a broken chair to finally catch her. You fall to the floor on your backside with a pained yelp, Nifty safely cradled in your arms. She was wiggling to her freedom, but you made sure not to let go. Your grip wasn't strong enough to suffocate her but at the same time, it prevented any attempts of escape.

You ignore the pain in favor of paying attention to Nifty. She was looking at you with dark glossy eyes as if pleading you to let go.

"Don't look at me like that," you huff, lifting her in the air. "Now, will you please give me back the necklace you stole?"

Nifty just struggled more in response. With no other choice left, you hang her upside down using one hand while the other tickled her vulnerable belly. The Niffler squirms more, causing a few Knuts and a Galleon to fall out. With one slight shake of your hand, something silver and long comes out of her pouch. A sliver of light made its small half-moon pendant shine.

Pretty.

"I'll be taking that, thank you," you mutter, grabbing the necklace and shoving it in one of your pockets.