𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞: 𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐩𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

Fairy tales have humble beginnings.

You stood there, dumbstruck, observing the bustling crowds. The cobbled streets spread out in front of you, close-knitted shops settled on either sides. Intriguing strangers were dressed in various robes and hats that you were sure would be classified as out of the norm in your neighborhood.

Despite your nerves, you can feel excitement spreading from your head to the tips of your toes. Your heartbeat was so fast you swore it would jump out of your chest any minute now.

Fairy tales only happened in books but, as you stood there wide-eyed and speechless, this situation couldn't be anymore real than it already was.

Your parents stood behind you, your mother just as shocked while your father looked mildly surprised. He looks at your acceptance letter clutched in his hand before furrowing his eyebrows.

"Huh," he utters. "Didn't think that would work."

Your mother jerks her head and looked at him as if he had grown two heads. "We just discovered some sort of secret society and that's your reaction?"

"It's just," he shrugs, gesturing vaguely at Diagon Alley. "I expected a lot more magical stuff than this. I anticipated trolls walking around and pixie dust raining down on us."

You couldn't tell if he was just feigning his calm manner or he really was not that affected by it. He even looks disappointed.

You shake your head, grin back in full force. "Pixie dust or no pixie dust, I can't believe I'm actually going to learn magic," you breathe out. You look to your parents with an uncertain glint in your eyes. "Is this real or am I just having a fever?"

Your father chuckles while your mother smiles wearily. This turn of events was clearly not what she had expected, but she was holding herself together quite well.

"For the tenth time, no, sweetheart, this is real," your mother reassures you.

"That's right, (Y/n)," your father grins as he ruffles your hair. "You're going to become a witch, and a bloody good one I bet."

You haven't even started school yet and he already had faith in you that you would succeed. You smile, just a teeny bit embarrassed.

"Daaaad," you drawl out, "don't say that. I'm not even sure if I can handle it."

"Of course you can! No doubt about it. You, my dear, will bring honor to our non-magical family."

Your mother sighs. "Oh, cut her some slack, (F/n). You're burdening an eleven-year-old with your expectations."

You nodded in agreement, giggling when your father shoots you and your mother a dirty look.

"I was not!" He huffs. "I'm just excited, s'all. It's not every day our daughter gets an acceptance letter to this prestige, magical school."

Your mother hums. "Much more interesting than those normal, non-magical schools."

"Exactly!" Your father grins.

Your little family was off to fetch your needed things, eventually splitting up after you had your wand, robes and owl (Which you lovingly named (O/n)). Your mother took it upon herself to buy your needed books and such, and had urged you and your father to explore to satiate your curiosity. As long as you meet up again at Gringotts Wizarding Bank after an hour, then you and your father were free to go wherever.

Diagon Alley was certainly a whole new world. There were so many new objects and little trinkets that fascinated you that you inspected every cart and shopfront windows you pass by.