You Can Run, Right?

"THEY SURROUND YOU. DO NOT PANIC."

"Gannyn?! What's up with the voice?!" The few people in the hall glanced at me tiredly as I slightly raised my voice. Gulping, I quieted down.

"PROCEED TO THE EXIT THROUGH THE WEST WING. A VEHICLE WILL BE WAITING."

"We need to leave. It'd be impossible for that to not be a trap."

"No, wait, Meghan was vouching for it, right? She said trust it."

"Meghan's been odd since the first time she saw me! We can't trust her!"

"I know Gannyn, alright? He wouldn't just date some psycho lady!"

"You don't know Meghan! You hardly recognized her when she first showed up!"

"For Christ's sake Mal, will you trust me for a second here, please?!" In the moment I took to wave off the people looking back, I realized my mistake and instantly regretted snapping at her. "Shit, no, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that."

"If you're so believing of it then do what it says." Mal said dismissively. She sounded upset but left it as is. With that I scooped up my bag and left.

In the few minutes I spent in the study hall, most of the people occupying the hallways had vanished. All that remained was an odd guard here and there. I kept my head down as I passed, watching out of the corner of my eyes to see that each one stared for an uncomfortably long time before looking away. The voice remained silent as I made my way, finally exiting into the parking lot. The cold air stung as I released a breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding.

I took a few shaky steps forward, looking around for any vehicle. Nothing looked out of place, the place was empty. It seemed to be before faint footsteps came around corners. A guard rounded the corner on either side of the building. Another exited from the door I had come from. My phone vibrated in my pocket. With a click as if it took a photo, I felt another presence behind me.

Mal growled lowly in anticipation as they drew stun-guns from their belts. Their eyes were all locked on me. The voice rang through my earphone once more.

"Your vehicle has arrived."

I spun around as tires flew over the curb into the parking lot, screeching to a stop a dozen feet behind us. A large pickup truck boasting reinforced glass and heavy-duty tires was waiting. I glanced back for a split second, just in time to see the guards break into a sprint towards us, weapons raised.

"Time to go!" Mal announced as we both made for the truck. I jumped into the bed as Mal stopped at the window.

"DRIIIIIVE!" She roared at the driver before following my example. No sooner had she started climbing in when the truck floored it in the opposite direction, away from the guards as they each halted and spoke into their radios. With my assistance, Mal made it all the way in, settling against the window next to me.

The truck sped down the road. From behind, just barely through the glass and over the thrum of the engine I could hear a muffled argument. Reaching an elbow back I pounded on the glass several times. The conversation halted and the passenger reached back, sliding it open. Gannyn stared at me from the inside.

"Gannyn?! What the fuck are you doing here?!"

"We're your ride out of here, apparently! Someone hasn't been telling me everything, and still won't!" Gannyn glared at the driver. I glanced through the window to see Meghan laser-focused on the road, occasionally checking the mirrors for just a moment.

"All you need to know is we need to go!"

"Could you be any less vague?!" Gannyn yelled frustratedly.

"I should be, and should have been!" They began arguing again. I leaned back into my place, looking to Mal. She was watching their argument but returned her attention, looking back at me. She was tense, and also glaring at me.