~~~Fish~~~

Zeke's home was just a few blocks away. As the distance closed, Miri's heart pounded.

The weight was becoming more unbearable.

My fault. It's my fault..........

She wanted to jump out of the car and run away just like that. She couldn't face his mom. How would she react if she knew that it was her Parents who killed Zeke.

I'll tell them..... But.....

Who would believe me....?
I've no proof.

Wait

Will they think that I'm in it too?
I should have known. It was too risky involving Zeke in the plan.
Look where it got him.

Do they know?
Did he confess anything before dying? Maybe not.

Or else I would also be dead by now.

The car stopped in the wide space next to the garage, extended to accommodate a considerable mass of vehicles. There were a good number of people attending his funeral. Her classmates, the club members and Zeke's best friend Jamie were the ones she could recognize. Zeke had a lot of relatives.

As she got out of the car, uneasiness filled her surrounding, she felt as if she's being watched.

Slowly turning over to face the crowd, Miri felt a jolt of panic. Everyone's eyes were on her.
Their gaze menacing.

It was like time stopped.
Miri was paralyzed in her position. The fear was creeping in as the piercing looks multiplied.

She was trapped. It seemed like everyone knew....... The secret she's keeping.

They all mumbled the same words.

You killed him. You killed him.

They were closing in on her. The condescending eyes drilling her soul. She didn't dare make a move.

Don't look at me like that. I didn't do it. Please don't come near me.

She shivered. Her legs wobbled.

She stumbled backwards and fell on the window of the car.

"You did this Miri......"

A voice whispered in her ear. Miri flinched and turned to Zeke's mangled face just inches away from hers. Her eyes widened, she let out a scream, her knees weakened and she sank down.

Miri clutched her head and didn't dare look up.

"Miri Miri..... dear.... are you alright?"

"Miss.... what happened?"

She could hear faint voices surrounding her. She slowly lifted her head up. Concerned looks everywhere.

It was all in my head. Phew.

"I'm fine," Miri gave a calm assuring look. Her Father helped her up.

"Miri, what happened? Did you get hurt?" A figure suddenly paced though the crowd and hugged her.

Layla. Ugh.

"I'm okay," Miri broke off the hug.
"Let's head inside."

The people gathered around her cleared off. Her classmates and club members went inside.

Miri took a quick glance at her Parents. She never saw them so nervous. Her Mom was twitching. And her Father met her eyes with a serene expression, But she could see His fear right through his trembling pupils.

I knew it. Just you wait. You'll get what you deserve.

"Mom, I'm going in," Miri said and held Layla's hand and slowly paced towards the widely open front door. The backyard held a lot of people. It was more like church setup. With rows of chairs at each side of the wide walkway.
A closed casket was right at the center of a decorated clearing.

Closed casket.

It was that bad huh.

The guilt she felt was nauseating.

"Miri, here," she heard a voice behind her. She turned to look at Sara, the leader of the Exploration club and the members.

They motioned the girls to sit in the two empty seats next to John. Two rows from Zeke. That was enough. She couldn't go anywhere near.

Miri and Layla quietly sat and John firmly held Miri's hand.

"It's gonna be alright," he said with a calm smile.

" How did the boy die? Suicide?"

" i don't know. I heard that he drowned when he went for a swim in the lake."

Miri silently heard all the rumors floating everywhere around her.

Bullshit. Drowned.

Have they all forgotten that he won Swimchamps thrice in a row.