~~~Preface~~~

Zeke's coffin was buried beside Lizzy Corin, the town's only chess player. She was famous in the 80's. Zeke admired her so much that he fought with the Principal to have a chess club in school. But in vain.

Atleast he'll be a little satisfied.

Zeke's dad wanted to bury him in their hometown. But his wife insisted that he'd be buried here. Close to them.

Zeke's father was looking much worse than his mom. Tired eyes with dark bags. A shaking figure. Shabby dressing. They were so broken.

It pained her heart. They don't deserve---- He..... didn't deserve it.

I won't let your sacrifice go in vain.

Miri's thoughts wavered as they left Zeke's resting place. Leaving him all alone there.

Miri's Mom was eyeing her every move. From the grave till they reached the Dander's. Miri was careful not to give out any clue. She just stuck with Mrs. Dander the whole time, helping her to stride along the cleared way, which seemed more tough for the latter as she moved further away from her beloved son.

Reaching home, the poor couple headed to Zeke's room. The guests understood that it was better to leave them alone. Reminisce their past happiness.

The atmosphere in the kitchen was tense. The Mother and Daughter were staring daggers at each other, each expecting the other to spill out any clue that might benefit them in the later circumstances.

"Trying to run away huh, Miri"

Shit

Reason 3:

Past:

"Today we're welcoming a new student..... umm.... Zeke Dander.. is it... yeah. Come on, Introduce yourself," Mr. Tuddle welcomed the boy who was visibly a bit nervous but tried to hide it with his sunshine-like smile.

The first time I saw him.

I shouldn't have talked to him.

"Hello Everyone. I'm Zeke. Nice to meet you all... uhhh. I love swimming and ch...chess and that's it."

"Now, Zeke, There's an empty chair beside Miri. You can sit there."

As Zeke made his way to his new desk, He just kept his eyes connected to Miri's as he slowly made his way. It was like no one was present in there except those two. Miri slightly blushed but turned her head as she didn't want him to notice. But she heard a small chuckle.

"Hi, I'm Zeke", she heard a whisper next to her shoulder.

"I'm Miri", she said as she faced the boy was sporting a big smile.