Chapter 7

New friends:

Smoothing out my new orange jumpsuit, the guard gives me my mugshot (they had taken it after I was arrested).

I pin it to the harsh vibrant cloth and get taken back out into the hallway.

Morello and Chapman are there as well as we all three start walking to our bunks.

Chapman is clearly shaken up after processing as her eyes are wide and she has to quickly wipe away any tears threatening to spill.

We walk to a large open area where rooms fill the sides, each filled with four bunk beds.

"Here ya go, ladies" Morello announces cheerfully as we walk into our temporary room.

I noticed the other inmates wore a browner jumpsuit that me and Chapman.

"When will we be getting outfits like everybody else?" Chapman asks quietly.

"I don't know, maybe after breakfast, You go down and speak to the lady-"

She was cut off as a woman suddenly walked over and slapped a girl hard across the face.

"Friend of yours?" Morello questioned the shocked girl who was in the room with us. 

"No, it's my mom.." she grimaced, her hand touching her cheek.

"Yikes" I snickered with an amused face as Chapman looked horrified.

"Well, anyway, these are your bunks and these are for you" Morello said as she pulls out a toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, soap and a pair of flip-flops from her shoulder bag.

Expecting her to give it to me, my eyebrows raised as she handed them to Chapman.

"Sorry, hun. I was only told to give Chapman her necessities.  Maybe one of the Hispanics can give you some, right? We look out for our own in here. No hard feelings. "

I stare, wide eyed, the anger slowly rising inside me.

Chapman looks back at me with a sad expression as Morello says her goodbyes, "I'll see you two at breakfast.  And again, Romano, no hard feelings, alright?" She waves her hand with a smile and walks off.

"What a racist bitch" I whisper out loud with a soft chuckle.

"Hey, it's prison you know? And she's just doing what she's told

"Hey, it's prison you know? And she's just doing what she's told. Blame the white men that run this place" The girl next to me says, the one who was slapped in the face.

She was an Hispanic women in her early 20s, her brown hair dyed with a single blonde streak.

"I suppose" I answer back, my lips turned in a snarl.

"My names Daya, I'm new here as well." She says with a smile, her voice lightly accented.

"Vira Romano" I say flatly, placing a hand on my hip.

She seemed nice and willing to make friends so I decided to go along with her.

"Are your parents from Spain?" She asked, referring to my tan complexion and name.

"On my mom's side" I answer with a short smile.

I was planning on answering something along the lines of "probably" or "I don't know" but I decided not to in order to make connections with people.

The truth is, my mother was really from Spain. While my father was from Italy.

I don't remember them at all as they were killed when I was just a child, but I do know my first taught languages were Italian and Spanish, since I was born in Italy.

I had learned English third and continued on learning others as I got older, making me almost fluent in all languages.

It was part of the job, blending in with your surroundings to not stand out.

"Same but you probably already know from, well, the interaction I had with her.." She winced as she felt over her cheek again, it had left a dull red mark.

"Well, anyway, I got some stuff for newbies like you. Healey gave me toothpaste and shit.." She mumbles on as she opens the drawer beside her bunkbed, pulling out essentials wrapped in plastic.

"Healy told me to give it to you.." she smiles and hands them to me, I nod and place them over onto my bunk across from hers.

"Who's Healy? Like, a guard or something?" I ask.

"Nah, he's the counselor here. He, like, talks with us privately to get to know us better or something.." She says, her tone with a hint of disgust.

"Oh, so like a school therapist but worse?"  I questioned with a laugh, making it seem like this was my first time in prison.

With this discussion, I remember the counselor I had back at my old one.

He was an older man and a perv but got what he deserved in the end.

A knife to the throat.

Daya laughs, her round face etched with smile lines.

"Yeah, definitely like that" she chuckles.

"Well, he can't be that bad, right? I mean, he's supposed to help us with our problems?" Chapman suddenly questions, her voice cutting through me and Daya's conversation.

Me and my new "friend" look over at the tall blonde who's blue eyes looked at us innocently.

"Trust me, he's bad. And don't interrupt us when we're talking, okay?" Daya snaps back as her hand lays at her hip.

Even though she was short, her attitude and forcefulness of her voice packed a punch.

"Sorry, I was just curious.." Chapman muttered as she went back to setting up her bed.

"Well, if you need any other help just ask, this shit can get really confusing during the first week" Daya says to me, I nod and go to my bunkbed.

Setting up my top bunk, I let out a sigh.

I couldn't believe I was actually here, in a women's prison of all places.

I shouldn't have gotten caught, it wasn't my fault that somehow me and Romeo had been set up.

When I get out of here I'm going to go after the bastards who screwed us over and I'm going to make them wish it never happened. 

AN: Thank you so much for reading! Would you like any more Romeo in chapters or flashbacks? Please comment down below!!