XXIX

Haley squeezes past people with a stumbling Hope following at a slower pace behind her, they are meeting with Peyton and the other cheerleaders at the charity auction

"Hey." Peyton greets, excited to see the smaller blonde but gets a distracted wave as Hope searches the crowds for something or someone.

"See anything you like?" Haley sends Peyton a discreet look to let it go and forces a smile of her own.

"I'm seeing everything I like." Peyton jokes back.

"Really?"

"But I think I'm going to bid on Jake." She admits with a shrug and Hope freezes up.

"Hey, I'll catch you guys later." Hope mutters quickly before disappearing with no explanation.

Peyton watches her go before immediately turning to Haley with a questioning look.

Haley sighs before changing the subject back to Jake. "You and Jake are really hitting it off, huh?"

"Just friends, really. What about you? Ready to fight off these rabid skanks for Nathan?"

"Actually, I think I'm going to bid on Lucas." Haley announces surprising her friend.

"Really?"

"Yeah, I haven't gotten a chance to spend time with him much lately and I get Nathan for free." Peyton laughs at the joke and nudges her.

"I bet you do."

"Not that either of them are particularly fun to be around right now." Haley sighs looking in the direction Hope wandered off to but can no longer find the girl.

"Yeah, what is happening with all that?" Peyton follows her eyes in the same direction.

"I don't know all the details but they are really worried about her." Haley frowns at the way she literally had to force the Scott brothers to leave her for the tournament. "I was kinda hoping that you knew what happened, I mean you have known her longer."

"She doesn't really talk to me anymore." Peyton shakes her curls slightly. "Losing Brooke sucked but I kinda deserved it, and I figured I still had Hope. I mean, we were in very similar situations but apparently I lost her too."

"I'm sorry Peyton."

"It's okay, good thing I've gotten used to it."