XXI

Hope stumbles into Lucas' room with tears streaming down her face shocking the only occupant as he is getting dressed

"Hope, what happened?" He approaches his sister and leads her to sit on his bed trying to calm her down.

Before the blonde is able to breathe long enough to answer the question Haley enters the room with an unreadable expression. "What is going on with you and Peyton?"

"Nothing." Lucas dismisses and turns back to face his sister whose face is starting to scrunch in confusion.

"So you guys weren't together recently?" Haley keeps pushing, ignoring the sniffling coming from Hope.

"No. Why? What'd you talk to Peyton?" Lucas starts to panic slightly about how to lie his way out of this interaction.

"Why? Are you trying to figure out what lie to tell me next?" Her glare pierced through his mind and Hope gasps slightly, starting to put the puzzle together in her head.

"I wanted to tell you, Hales." Lucas sighs admitting it without saying the words, his eyes glance at Hope.

"Tell me what?"

"That we've been..." He lets his words die out and Hope cries out harder at his confession.

"Luke," She sobs wiping her tears from her face.

"Yeah I know you've been cause I saw you kissing her which is a really jack ass move considering you have a girlfriend named Brooke." Haley spits at him in contempt letting her anger deep into her words.

"Don't lecture me, Haley. I know that." Lucas' jaw tenses and he looks away.

"So stop it."

"I can't. It's complicated." Lucas tries to explain and Hope sympathizes because she understands just how complicated it can be.

"It's not complicated, it's simple. It's really simple. What you're doing is wrong. And if you can't see that I don't like the person you're becoming." Haley shoved him with her words and Hope's protective nature bristles.

"That's not fair Haley," Hope's voice is barely above a whisper but is heard clearly by everyone in the room.

"Fair?!" Haley directs her fury to the girl in front of her. "You don't get to talk about fair, you don't get to have an opinion on this. Not after what I saw the other night." Hope looks down in shame letting her guilt bubble in her chest.