XIV

Hope marches determinedly towards Nathan who stands at his locker

Hope marches determinedly towards Nathan who stands at his locker. She stops in front of him and stands silently for a few moments. "Where were you this morning?" She folds her arms and cocks her hips.

"Left early." Nathan answers still not looking at her.

"Why?" She squints her eyes slightly at the older teen.

"Because I didn't want to deal with you. Leave me alone, Hope. " Nathan sighs and finally turns to face her.

"You know what? I'm gonna let that slide." Hope announces. "I am also gonna forgive you for being a total dickwad last night."

"Gee thanks." Nathan mutters sarcastically making Hope frown.

"Okay, am I missing something here because last time I checked you should be groveling for my forgiveness not acting like a bigger jerk." Her gaze is hot on his face in anger.

"Well, last time I checked I told you to leave me alone."

"Nathan-"

"No, Hope. Just go!" He yells slightly making her jump. "You're always bothering me about something or whining about something and it's really annoying. All I ask is for one day. One day without you annoying me."

"okay, fine." Hope turns with tears in her eyes bumping shoulder with a confused Haley during her quick exit.

〰️〰️〰️

"Hope!" Lucas calls out after his little sister and runs to catch up to her in the hallway pulling her into a brief hug. "Hey, I've been looking for you."

"Really, that's so weird. I haven't seen you around." Hope lies with a guilty expression knowing fully well that she has been avoiding him because she's been to scared to talk to Peyton.

"Uh-huh, sure." Lucas nods at her not believing the lie. "Listen you gotta talk to Peyton."

"Only if you talk to Nathan." Hope bargains with a sheepish smile.

"Why am I talking to Nathan?" Lucas squints with a confused expression.

"He's obviously not okay. I'm worried that my Dad is getting to him with the Cove city game coming up and everything." She sighs thinking back to her earlier conversation with Nathan.

"Yeah, okay. I'll talk to him." Lucas agrees with a nod remembering how Nathan blew up at coach earlier at practice. "Can't promise he's gonna talk to me though."

"Yeah, I know." Hope sighs tiredly. "I'll swing by Peyton's after school and talk to her."

"Okay, well wish me luck." Lucas jokes with a smile before walking away.

"Yeah, same here." Hope's lips settle into a frown as she dreads the conversation she's gonna have.

〰️〰️〰️

A knock on her door makes Peyton jump as she listens to Lucas' voicemail. Hope smiles sheepishly at the older blonde before walking in. "Sorry."

"It's okay. I'm just glad you've stopped avoiding me like I'm the plague." Peyton jokes and pats her head making Hope laugh.

"It was not that bad." She disagrees hopping in the bed beside Peyton, close enough that their shoulders touch.

"It felt that bad." Peyton admits and the room goes quiet as Hope looks down in shame.

"Sorry, I do this things where I kinda just ignore my problems till they go away." Hope gives Peyton a small smile.

"Oh, so I'm a problem now?" Peyton jokes making Hope's eyes widen in panic.

"No, no, no. It's just-" Hope cuts herself off and struggles for a way to word this. "Do you remember Nathan's party at my dads beach house a little while ago? The night before you guys broke up?"

"Yeah, why?" Peyton looks confused as she recalls that night and how strange Hope acted after it.

"Well, um the same thing that happened to you, happened to me." She admits quietly in a shaky voice.

"Hope-" Peyton attempts to comfort the blonde that she regards as a sister.

"well, not the same thing. I wasn't like roofied or anything." She starts to ramble and aggressively tuck her hair behind her ear making her bracelets jingle. "He just cornered me and then tried to..." She trails off, scared to say the word.

"It's okay, you don't have to say it." Peyton scoots even closer to her.

"So when, the same thing happened to you because of me. I just, didn't think you would wanna see me."

"Hope, What happened that night was not your fault. Or mine. It was that creeps." Peyton pulls the younger girl into a tight embrace. "You don't have to tell me but, who was it? The guy that attacked you."

"Jacob. Jacob Boudro." She whispers it into the darkness of the night and for the first time begins to truly feel safe.

〰️〰️〰️

Outside the school, Peyton is sitting at a table with Hope, Riley and Ethan when Brooke walks up.

"Hi, friends. Guess who I went out with last night. I'll tell you. Lucas." Brooke announces with a smug expression making Hope choke slightly on her water.

"Define went out." Peyton frowns slightly at her friend.

"We met at a bar, shot some pool, had a few drinks." Brooke smiles brightly at them and Riley and Hope share a look.

"Lucas Scott?"

"Yep. You didn't tell me he was such a good kisser." Peyton looks shocked, and a little upset. "I gotta go." Brooke leaves as abruptly as she arrived.

"Pey," Hope turns to the other blonde to offer comfort.

"I should go." Peyton gathers her things and leaves the table making Hope frown slightly.

"I can't believe this is really happening." Riley shakes her head slightly. "They're supposed to be stronger than this."

"Well, that just proves it." Hope sighs. "When you and your best friend fall for the same guy. Your friendship is over."

"At least you guys don't have to worry about that." Ethan throws his arms over both girls and pulls them into an embrace.

"Yeah," Riley mutters sadly sharing a concerned look with Hope.