XIII

Hope and Nathan walk through the hallway deep in conversation and happy to be spending time together

"You've been spending a lot of time with Ethan lately." Nathan jokes and nudges her side making her squirm.

"Yeah, we're friends." Hope shrugs nonchalantly.

"Is that all you are?" He quirks his brow in her direction.

"Nathan-"

"All I'm saying is be careful." He interrupts her and speeds up to catch up to Haley before grabbing her arm and pulling her into an empty classroom.

"Ugh get a room." She frowns to herself.

"I think they did." Riley jokes and links her arm with Hope's making her joking roll her eyes.

"Hey pretty lady." Ethan calls out from where he is leaned against a locker making both girls smile at him.

"Thanks." They answer in unison and share an awkward look.

"Okay, um you ready Riles?" Ethan asks desperate to change the topic.

"Yeah." Riley smiles back at him and unlinks her arm from Hope's.

Hope pouts slightly. "Ready for what?"

"Oh, Ethan said he'd help me study for the history test coming up." Riley nods.

"Well, what am I supposed to do. I don't have any other friends." The little blonde pouts slightly.

"You have your brothers." Ethan offers stuffing his hands in his pockets.

"Nathan is too busy with Haley who is also to busy for me and Lucas is busy with Brooke, or Peyton. I don't even know anymore." She sighs.

"I'm sorry Hope."

"It's fine, have fun on your study date." Her fake smile doesn't reach her eyes as she walks away.

"It's not a date..." Ethan says awkwardly after she's gone.

〰️〰️〰️

Hope lays in the couch with an arm hanging off the side numbing her mind with television when Nathan snatches the remote from her.

"Nathan!" Hope sits up with a frown glaring at her brother.

"Dad brought dinner." He gestures towards the kitchen and she begrudgingly follows him.