XXVI

Brooke and Riley are walking out of the gym after practice with Peyton following behind dragging a reluctant Hope with her

"Brooke! Sooner or later you're going to have to talk to me." Peyton calls out making both girls stop and turn around.

"Why don't I just smile at you, you know, Peyton style, pretend everything's okay and lie to your face." Brooke retorts, the fury is back in her eyes.

"If I could go back to the way things were then I would." Peyton keeps trying to get through to her while Hope is doing everything in her power to avoid eye contact with either of the Davis sisters.

"Back to when my best friend was cheating with my boyfriend and I was too stupid to realize it?" Brooke scoffs and Riley rolls her eyes at Hope avoiding eye contact.

"You're not stupid!"

"Did you sleep with him?" Brooke ignores her friends statement and asks the question that's been plaguing her mind since she found out about them.

"No! No, I didn't. Okay? We stopped before it got that far. God, Brooke, I am sorry okay? We were going to tell you and then the accident happened and you liked him so much and I just... " She trails off not knowing how to end the sentence.

"Thought you'd spare me the heartache?" Brooke guesses with an eye roll.

"Yeah."

"Yeah well that worked out real well, didn't it?" She glares at the person she used to trust. "Are you in love with him?" Brooke asks and Peyton looks like she's thinking about it. "You know what, I don't even care. He's all yours now, have a great life together." She takes off and Peyton goes rushing after her leaving the younger girls alone.

"You won't even look at me now?" Riley scoffs as Hope investigates the details on her sneakers with her eyes, refusing to glance up. "Why am I even surprised, this is what you always do."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Hope frowns and finally looks at the girl in front of her.

"You always do this Hope!" Riley exclaims walking closer to the girl. "When things get hard and messy you ignore them and everyone is just supposed to put their lives on halt and wait till you're ready to deal with it."

"That is not true." Hope scoffs at the brunette

"Oh yeah, didn't you ignore Lucas for years while he tried desperately to get to know his little sister until you were ready, until you decided that you were ready to stop treating him like he didn't matter." Riley's words dig deep under Hope's skin as she fidgets in her spot.