XVI

Dan, Deb, Hope and Nathan sit in the silent room facing the therapist

"Truth is hard. But Hostility stays outside. Who would like to start." She opens the door for conversation and looks around the room at each of their faces.

"Well you're the one with all the answers Doc why don't you tell us." Dan snarks making Hope roll her eyes.

"Hostility stays outside Dan." The therapist reminds him with a kind voice.

"Things have just gotten out of hand, so, we thought we could use some..." Deb begins explaining the situation that the family is facing before Dan interrupts her making Hope look off in annoyance.

"No, You thought."

"Define gotten out of hand. Nathan." The doctor looks at him encouragingly in hopes that he will share.

"Pass." He responds making Hope smirk slightly.

"We reached the breaking point two weeks ago when my son-" Deb begins but is once again interrupted by Dan.

"You hear that? "My son"."

"Deb is speaking now Dan."

"When our son collapsed on the basketball court after taking drugs to boost his performance." Deb finishes with a shaky voice.

"The kid made a mistake he knows that." Dan frowns.

"His father has been bullying him about the sport since he was old enough to hold a ball."

"Is that true Nathan?" The therapist questions him and he shrugs.

"His mother is so quick to put the blame on me, but up until recently, job always came first." Dan rolls his eyes at Deb making Hope sigh.

"Yes but I changed my behavior Dan, and you haven't. You cant seem to loose this unhealthy obsession you have with basketball, and how Nathan plays it."

Dan interrupt her again. "She blames me for her shortcomings as a mother."

"Okay, what about you Hope? How do you feel about all this?"

"Hope is fine. This is about Nathan." Dan dismisses his daughter and Hope winces slightly

"Dad!" Nathan glares at his father.

"Actually Dad, I'm not fine. And you would know that if you stopped obsessing over Nathan and paid attention to your other child. Hope rolls her eyes at her father who is beginning to neglect her.