.1.

Jeon Jungkook was 13 when he decided that life sucked. His life sucked, to be precise.

Sitting on his hospital bed, he heard unnecessarily loud footsteps in the hallway and imagined rows of security guards lined up against the wall, just so his father could come visit.

Finally, the door to his room opened and he braced himself for the scolding to come.

Scolding which he absolutely deserved by the way.

A man had lost his life after all, trying to protect him from a bunch of abductors who had taken advantage of the fact that Jungkook had managed to deceive his appointed suit-wearing and gun-carrying babysitter in order to meet his friends at the arcades for an afternoon of carefree fun. Needless to say, nothing had gone as planned.

He should consider himself lucky. With mere scratches to show for, he got off lightly. His bodyguard, on the other hand— Was it Jinho? Junseo? Damnit. Jungkook couldn't even remember the guy's name. What if he had a family?

Shit. Jungkook felt bad for caring so little and vowed to at least memorize the name of the new recruit.

His father walked in and yeah, Jungkook was definitely gonna get an earful. And be grounded. Not that he ever wasn't. Grounded I mean. You see, Jungkook was never allowed to step outside of the Blue House except to attend classes. And even then, he had to endure the humiliation that came with having a grown man following you around like a shadow. And yes, the shadow's jurisdiction included the restrooms.

"How are you, Son?"

The soft tone caught Jungkook off guard. He could have answered truthfully and told his father his was fine. Sure the ski mask over his face had caused him to almost piss himself, but come to think of it, he didn't feel nearly as traumatized as he was perhaps expected to be.

Instead, he hung his head low and murmured, "I'm sorry."

The man shook his head in disagreement. "I'm the one who should be sorry for putting you through all this. You probably just want a normal life, go out and have fun, like any teenager."

He did. More than anything.

"I'm sorry I can't give you that normal life right now. Not for another two years at least. And I realize it seems like a very long time, but when you serve the people of a country, two years is not nearly enough to get things done."

"Why me though?" Jungkook had to ask, since his father appeared rather talkative today.

"We receive threats all the time. Hence the security. But I never thought they'd dare come after you." The man let out a deep sigh, perhaps assessing his son's ability to stomach the truth. "They're trying to intimidate me. They don't want me passing certain bills and hope they can scare me into backtracking."

"What are you going to do?"

"South Korea needs anti-discriminatory laws. And I'm determined to go through with them."

Jungkook didn't understand much about politics and wasn't really interested in learning more about any of it. But by the sound of it, his father was doing what he believed was right for this country. Perhaps the least he could do was to avoid adding to his worries. "I won't sneak out unsupervised. I promise."

His old man was no fool. "Son, we both know such promise is unrealistic. Besides, I've come to realize that the more I shelter you, the more you're going to try and resist it."

What was he saying? Jungkook remained quiet, unsure as to where the conversation was heading. His father continued. "I've been going about this wrong. I realize that now. But we're going to fix this." Stepping aside, he introduced the man who had been standing behind him the whole time. "Meet Kim Taehyung, the best protection money can buy."

What a bizarre introduction, the teenage boy thought. And was the guy wearing leather? Odd choice of outfit for a security guard. Jungkook had to remind himself not to judge. But still, he was intrigued.

That Kim dude, however, did not look fazed at all. He greeted Jungkook with a polite nod. "Nice to meet you, Jungkook."

President Jeon must have deemed his presentation lacking as he quickly added, "Blue House security is enough when you're home. But when out and about, you'll be escorted by Mr. Kim. Is that understood?"

Jungkook had mixed feelings about all this. He was relieved his father had not, for the time being, displayed any intention of lecturing him, and felt overjoyed at the idea of freedom, but Mr. Kim didn't seem like the kinda guy who'd let him enjoy unbridled liberty. "Will he be wearing leather at all times?" he asked.

Kim Taehyung smiled at the enquiry. "This is my riding gear. I'll be wearing a suit otherwise."

"You can have him put on a hoodie if you think he'll look less conspicuous," the President added.

"Wait. Hold on a sec. You said riding gear?"

Taehyung nodded. "I have an extra helmet for you."

Jungkook's eyes turned into saucers. "Dad, where did you find this gem?"

His fathers cleared his throat before answering, "I'm afraid that's classified."

Wattpad fanfic writers write for free, but one way you can show your appreciation for their hard work is to vote!

Thank you for reading ~♡