.4-4.

"Will he recognize me?" Jungkook enquired, aware of the fact that he didn't look much like his 14-year-old self.

"Individual identification is done through retinal scan," Namjoon informed him. "The ID'ing process is likely still working."

"But will he remember me?" Jungkook felt a little silly, asking such questions and seeming like a teenage girl seeking her best friend's approval of her first date outfit.

"There's only so much data backed up on the unit's memory card, and client ID wasn't part of the hardwired memory. I'd say there's a 50% chance he will be able to access all saved information regarding his inaugural assignment."

Oh. Right. Jungkook had only been an assignment— He tried to cast away the thought and focus on the task at hand: waking the comatose humanoid.

Namjoon had got a little stiff all of a sudden. "Before we do this, I need one final answer from you."

Jungkook could not believe the words he was hearing. "Are you ambushing me because you want to back out? Now?!"

"It's just that, we never talked about the — personal aspects of this endeavour. You never questioned my motives and I never questioned yours."

The younger one crossed his arms on his chest in a defying manner. "What is it you'd like to know, professor?"

"Once we get him back, what use will you have of him? With no access to online data, he won't even be able to give you the time of day. So why would you need him so bad?"

Uncrossing his arms, Jungkook looked down at his hands, fingers playing together. "I got my driver's licence when I was eighteen, but I never drove a car. Never rode a bike — H-he was supposed to teach me how to ride a bike. We shook on it."

He voice was so low Namjoon could barely make out the words of this unexpected confession. "Am I understanding this right? You want him to fulfil a promise he made when you were a teenager?"

Jungkook could only nod, a little shaken at the memory.

"That's a good enough reason to me," and without further ado, the professor typed in a few commands which send power back to the lifeless humanoid.

Jungkook stood by Taehyung's head. Namjoon had insisted he be the first human to ID, in order to up the chances of memory recovery.

The eyes flickered open and looked straight at the person nearby. "Jungkook?"

Something clenched in the young man's chest as he realized how much he'd missed that low, husky voice. It required a whole lot of self-control for him not to turn into mush at that very moment. "Yes, Taehyung?" he replied, trying not to let his emotions show.

"Are you hurt?"

Right. Taehyung was seven years behind on the present. The bodyguard, keeping his eyes on Jungkook, blinked a few times. "Oh. You're not fourteen any more."

Sitting up on the table, he finally ID'ed Namjoon. "Boss?"

It turned out the professor's collectedness had run thin and it only took one word for him to burst into tears.

"What's wrong?" asked Taehyung, looking very confused at the two men sobbing.

"Nothing! Everything's f-fine—" And that statement, contradicting their behaviour, left Taehyung further dumbfounded.

Wattpad fanfic writers write for free, but one way you can show your appreciation for their hard work is to vote!

Thank you for reading ~♡