Part XIV: Confessions, Cookies, and Cupcakes

(As always, thanks for reading. I appreciate the feedback! -J)

As I lay on my bed, I was startled awake when my phone began vibrating with a call. I sat up in a panic, hoping I hadn't fallen asleep and slept the day away. I grabbed the alarm clock next to my bed; it was 1:15 PM. Thankfully I had only slept for half an hour.

Relieved, I answered the phone. "Hello?"

"Hey, honey!" Green cooed on the other end. "What are you doing?"

I yawned. "I'm not doing anything."

"It's almost one o'clock!" Green berated me. "Are you still in bed?" His voice deepened, and he whispered, "Oh my God, is Tine there? Is he in bed with you?"

"No," I replied. "I'm awake. I wasn't sleeping." I leaned back against the headrest. "Tine isn't here. He's studying."

"I see," Green exhaled. "What are you doing today?"

"Studying," I answered. "Eventually."

Green humphed in disbelief. "I'm catering an event tonight," he revealed. "I'm baking a cake, and I've already made some cupcakes and cookies." In a sing-song voice, he said, "If you come over and help, I'll let you have some of the cookies and cupcakes. I promise."

I considered Green's offer despite needing to study. I didn't want to fall behind on my classwork but knew I had to talk to Green about the anxiety I had felt earlier that day around Tine. I also preferred to help Green with his catering rather than to do my classwork, even if neglecting my homework could hurt me academically. Additionally, Green was an outstanding baker, and I had never said no to any of his desserts.

I agreed to be his assistant for a few hours, and Green cheered happily. However, I insisted that I would only help for a few hours before I would need to study.

Green lived in the nicest dorm on campus, a seven-story white building, taller than everything else on campus and the surrounding town. Construction was completed just before our first semester, and Green luckily got picked in the housing lottery. Each room was more like a one-bedroom apartment with a kitchen and private bathroom, unlike most older dorms. The lucky students living on the upper floors had amazing views of the campus, the town, and hills and valleys in the area.

When I stepped out of the elevator on the top floor, Green's floor, scents of cinnamon and vanilla interlaced each other in the hallway, making my stomach growl. I walked to Green's door and knocked eagerly.

A delicious warmth of freshly baked cakes and cookies wrapped around me as soon as Green opened the door. I smiled, my mouth salivating from the thoughts of the sweets I would soon be eating. But when Green reached out and pulled me into a hug, the scents became secondary in my mind. I had an odd sense of safety and childlike happiness, being in Green's arm. I hugged him back tightly.

"Come in," Green instructed. "I'm so glad to see you!"

"I'm here for the desserts," I joked.

Green rolled his eyes as he laughed. He spun around and began gliding towards the kitchen, and I happily followed once I had taken off my shoes.

Green's kitchen smelled delicious, but it was a complete mess. Discarded pans lined the counters, and the table was covered with trays of cookies and cupcakes. The sink was full of pans, bowls, and utensils. Green seemed unbothered by the chaos as he sashayed towards the table and moved a few pans of cookies to the counter. As soon as I was seated, Green handed me a bowl of cake batter.

"Stir this while you tell me everything," he eagerly grinned.

"I'm sure you know a lot of it," I quipped.