Part XXXV: A Different Type of Brother

Tine's words floated in one of my ears and out the other as a weightless and nonsensical statement from a different language.

... Type, my brother...

Still glaring at the guy standing next to Tine, his identity slowly registered in my mind. Soon, I had processed what was happening around me, and the anger I initially felt towards this person was replaced by horror and embarrassment.

Fuck! This is Tine's brother!

I tried to remember everything I had said to him earlier that afternoon, but I couldn't recall clearly. I was too angry to remember his specific questions or even my answers to him.

Did I say too much?!

I extended my hand before my brain knew what I was doing. "It's nice to meet you," I smiled. "I've heard a lot about you."

Type grinned like a Cheshire cat with cold, onyx eyes piercing through me. "Hello again," he said, grabbing my hand and holding it tightly.

I casually smiled as if I wasn't internally freaking out and stared back at Type. My stare nor my grin were half as intimidating as his, though; I was prey in the eyes of a predator who was ready to pounce on me and tear me apart.

Tine scowled. "Why'd you try to trick Sarawat?" he asked his brother.

Type chuckled. "I didn't try to trick him. I was just asking questions." He paused and smirked. "I'd heard some things, and I wanted to see if they were true."

My stomach sank.

Tine's face went white. "Wha-what things?" he stammered.

"Don't worry about that for now," Type answered, still staring at me. "I wouldn't be a good brother if I didn't know who was in my baby brother's life or their intentions. There are so many people out there who take advantage of others."

I tried to chuckle, but it sounded more like a contemptuous huff.

Type glanced over my shoulder towards the field, then back at me. "I see you're willing to sabotage your team's chances of winning to protect my baby brother, but I'm here now." His lips curled into a wicked smile.

"I wanted to make sure you weren't some creep bothering Tine," I replied with a toothy smile.

"Now that you see he is okay, you can return to the game." Type's tone was friendly, but an underlying arrogance was apparent. He wasn't suggesting I return to the game; he was telling me to go.

I had no response, and Tine said nothing, so I nodded respectfully. "I'll see you later," I said to Tine.

"Since you and my baby brother are so close," Type said before I could walk away, "how about I treat you and your friends to some drinks tonight? The first round is on me." Again, I understood this to mean this invitation wasn't voluntary; it was mandatory.

"Sure. Tine, just text me, okay?"

Tine nodded with an anxious smile. "Yeah, okay, I will."

"See you later, Sarawat," Type said flippantly. "I can hardly wait for tonight."

Before he could say anything else, I ran back onto the field.

I was shaken. I had gone from being enraged because I thought some guy was trying to hit on Tine to being petrified. After all, that guy had turned out to be his older brother. I had only interacted with Type twice, and both times had felt like fighting a battle I was unequipped for.

As the game resumed, I looked back at the sidelines and saw Type leading Tine away from the sidelines.

Fuck!