Part XXIII : Questions, Questions

Dim messaged the team a little after 7 AM Sunday: Friday night's canceled game had been hastily rescheduled for later in the morning, and he wanted the team to be at the field by 11 AM. I texted Tine to let him know in hopes that he would come. But when Mann and Boss came to my apartment to walk to campus together, Tine hadn't responded.

It was in the middle of our walk, during a conversation about nothing in particular when I remembered Boss's faux pas at the dorm party from the night before.

"You almost got me in trouble last night!" I said as I playfully kicked Boss in the shin.

He yelped and asked, "What did I do?"

"You mentioned the concert in Chang Mai," I reminded him. "The concert Tine doesn't know about."

Boss rolled his eyes and shrugged passively.

"Why haven't you told Tine yet?" Mann asked.

I stammered for an answer. "I just... I mean, I will... definitely... I'm definitely gonna tell him about it."

"When?" Mann asked, his voice carrying a bit more seriousness.

I cleared my throat. "I haven't thought about it," I admitted. "I don't want to ruin anything with Tine. We are together; we are happy. Tine loves me back, finally." I smiled. "Our friends know we're dating, and you guys are happy for us." I swung one arm around Boss's shoulder and the other around Mann's back. I pulled them close as I grunted an enthusiastic "I love you guys!"

"But you have told Tine about you and Green being friends, right?" Mann asked.

"Not exactly."

"WHAT?!" Boss and Mann halted, throwing my balance off as they both bent forward out of my hug. I turned back, and they were gawking at me, eyes wide with shock.

"You haven't told him about Green yet?!" Mann asked.

"I just haven't found the right time!" I protested.

"Oh, that time has passed, my friend," Boss said bluntly.

The words made my blood run cold, but I glared at him.

"He's right, y'know," Mann said as he and Boss turned me around, and we began walking again. "If you had told him earlier, maybe he wouldn't have gotten too upset about it. But now that you've waited, I dunno."

Grumbling, I confessed, "I just don't know how to bring it up."

"You'd better find a way soon," Boss quipped.

"Unless...," Mann joked, "you keep this a secret and pretend none of what happened before the semester actually happened."

"I'll take that option," I grinned while my stomach churned at the thought. "Let's pretend everything happened the way Tine believes it all happened."

"So, you're just gonna keep lying," Boss said.

"Not lying," I muttered. "I'm gonna tell him everything eventually."

"Mann patted me on the back. "Tell Tine the truth. Tell him about the concert and about you and Green and the little scheme."

The soccer field came into view, giving me the perfect opportunity to change the subject.

"Look!" I exclaimed, pointing towards the field. "The other team is already practicing on our field!"

Boss and Mann took the bait. They pretended to be shocked and enraged, then sprinted towards the field to intimidate the opposing team. But just as the knot in my stomach was unwinding, I saw Dim walk into the locker room.