Part VI: Football and Alcohol

(Please comment or leave a rating! Appreciate it! -J)

I didn't have class on Friday morning, so I slept until noon. When I awoke, I showered, then ate lunch. For most of the afternoon, I obsessively checked my phone for any text message or call from Tine. He's probably studying or practicing with the cheerleaders, I kept telling myself. That's why he hasn't messaged me yet. I needed a distraction from Tine. Thankfully, that evening the soccer team would be playing an exhibition game against the team from another college in the area, and I was excited to be going back on the field.

Because it was an exhibition game at the beginning of the season, the cheerleaders weren't guaranteed to be performing at the field. The cheerleaders focused on performing at major games and campus events, or at competitions around Asia. I hoped the cheerleaders wouldn't be there because I knew that if they were on the sidelines, my focus would be on Tine and not on the game. When the game started a little after six o'clock, I was relieved that the sidelines stayed empty of any cheerleaders. Playing soccer was my temporary escape from life. A new semester had started and so had another season of soccer. Added to those priorities was Tine. With him now a major part of my life, I was always feeling a rollercoaster of emotions. It was hard to focus on anything because I was always thinking of him.

Playing soccer that evening kept my mind off of Tine until halftime. While Boss, Mann, and I were on the sidelines rehydrating, Mann pointed out Tine in the bleachers. Tine was sitting on one of the lower rows, surrounded by two girls on his left and one girl on his right. I recognized the girl on his right as the same girl he had walked onto the field with Wednesday night when the cheerleaders and soccer team played games together. The three girls fawned over Tine, who basked in their attention. Every time he spoke, the girls would giggle and grin. Seeing him so engaged with them, especially the one from Wednesday evening, enraged me. But no matter how much I angrily stared in their direction, the four of them were too engrossed in what looked like playful conversation to notice my glaring. When halftime ended, I returned to the field highly agitated.

What should have been a non-competitive exhibition game turned into a savage rout of the opposing team

What should have been a non-competitive exhibition game turned into a savage rout of the opposing team. Tine hadn't become a distraction, but the fact that his attention was elsewhere emboldened me as much as it scared me. I was on the field, but I was actually competing with three girls who were taking Tine's attention away from me. I had always been confident on the field, but I became a beast. I zipped around the field, employing every special move I had ever used. The bleachers soon became a frenzy of screaming and cheering, with a chorus of "Sarawat! Sarawat!" Tine's eyes had to be on me because I had become the center of attention. I had sacrificed the opposing team's dignity by overwhelming every player on the field, but I was desperate. By the end of the game, everyone in the stands were on their feet cheering, and as soon as the game was over, I made a beeline for Tine.

"Wat, this is -" Tine began introducing the girls to me, but I cut him off.

"Did you come to see me play?" I asked Tine, tussling his hair. He slapped my hand away angrily.