○Thirty○

Howls and hollers of elation erupted around me. Blinding smiles, hugs and claps on shoulders were exchanged between the forty-four. I didn't understand why. Emerson would be back, or they would try something else. This had only been the beginning, so celebrating seemed moronic. Their heads were empty with glee and it made me scowl in distaste.

"Eden."

I turned to Monty who was holding onto Harper. She looked fine, only a little ruffled.

"Thank you," he nodded.

I nodded back before turning away from the couple. I tossed the bloodied axe I held by the body of the guard, who had tried to take Harper. Maybe she'd stop calling me sick and emotionless because I refused to apologise for abducting her. Like I had said to her, I had nothing to be sorry for. Survival of the fittest was a brutal game that had always been in play, more so upon our arrival to Earth.

I began to manoeuvre through the tight group to find some space for myself, a wave of nausea had begun to seep through and tingles of aches in my muscles.

"We did it." Blaze had intercepted me and smiled triumphantly. All of the misplaced joy was beginning to irritate me, at least if Bellamy was here, he would have the sense to see the bigger picture.

"Yay."

"Don't sound too excited." Blaze joked. His eyes travelled over my shoulder before returning to me. "Do you think Jasper is going to be okay? He slammed an axe into the back of that guard and didn't even flinch."

"You all had weapons. You were all ready to kill those guards. Some of you did. Jasper's fine." I explained blandly. Yes, Jasper had acted out of anger and guilt of Fox being the only person to get taken, but everybody in here knew the risks. They knew that they would be wounding guards at the very least to get them to retreat. The few dead bodies that littered the floor were a testament to how far these guys were willing to go.

If Fox was lucky, her favourite fuck buddy, Bellamy, would find her.

"I need some water."

I brushed passed and headed for the kitchen at the back of the mess hall. As soon as I barged through the door I skipped through the scattered mess along the floor and hunched over the sink. My stomach did somersaults that added a sickening motion to the resounding knocking in my head. It sounded and felt like somebody continuously knocking on a locked door. My hands latched onto the edge of the sink as I sunk to a crouched position. Deep, slow breaths in and out helped centre my gravity, but also brought the irritation along my neck to my attention.

"Eden. Is everything okay?" Monty had followed me.

"Yeah. Everything's fine. I just needed a minute."

"Do you want me to stay with you?"

I shook my head and stood up. The nausea was still there though less strong. I knew what could make It better, but I didn't have access to it. Maya and Bellamy did. Alternative ways I could have gone about my actions began to tease my mind. The moment I knew they had what I wanted I should have taken Maya as bait and forced Bellamy to hand over what they had stashed away, he was always a sucker for a damsel in distress.

I shut my eyes and imagined the feel of a needle piercing my neck and the soothing feeling that followed. The mist and darkness that oozed into my mind blocking things out and making it clearer to focus on what I was expected to do.

"Eden are you sure you're okay? I've noticed your neck." I released a long breath before opening my eyes. "What did they do to you?"

"Nothing important. You don't have to worry about it."