○Nineteen○

Through the glass wall I could see Cage already sat down in front of his father's desk. They were both talking.

I took this time to properly look around Dante's office. An old fashioned red and gold rug lay on the centre. To the right there was a smaller wooden desk with pots of paint brushes and paints all over it. Canvases stood against one of the pillars. To the left a piano had a drape over it and a couple of books. Behind it a book lay open on a stand. Straight ahead Dante's large desk was the same. His laptop, pencils, papers and a lap were spread across it. And behind it on the wall a large painting hung.

I guessed a lot of the art around Mount Weather was painted by Dante himself. Him and Clarke would get on.

The president looked up, his beady eyes noticing me, and waved his hand for me come in. A wide, friendly smile brightened Dante's face and made him look younger.

Cage swivelled around and saw me. A similar smile spread across his expression and I couldn't help but notice how alike, yet different the two looked together.

I pushed open the door and stepped inside.

"Get another chair, Cage," Dante ordered then addressed me. "Come in. Take a seat. It's lovely to see you Eden."

I sat perfectly beside Cage and smiled at Dante. "It's nice to see you too." Honestly, it hadn't crossed my mind and I didn't know why I was here, but it was nice. I glanced at Cage for some indication on what was going on, but he just smiled stiffly.

Maybe I had done something wrong or Cage had done something his father wasn't happy about.

"I know my son has been has been looking after you and ensuring your recovery." Dante sat forward on his chair and swept his eyes over his son in a scrutinizing manner, before his eyes landed on me. He studied me for a second making me want to shift, yet I refrained. "You are looking much better. How are you feeling?".

"I'm feeling much better." I followed my urge to praise Cage. "Cage has been amazing with taking care of me."

Dante hummed and smiled, it seemed a little forced.

"Like I said Dad, I've been giving Eden the best treatment. She's even moved into the dorm with the rest of her friends."

It was odd seeing Cage's domineering demeanour vanish before his father. He seemed more on edge with a desire to please and persuade. I put it down to the weary and questioning looks his Dante continuously aimed his way. It was like he was constantly questioning Cage's every move and action as if it wasn't good enough or he was doing it wrong.

"You authorised her moving?"

"Yes. Eden is in much better shape."

I nodded in agreement.

"I see. I hope your surgery allows for a perfect recovery. Are you getting post surgery treatments and help?"

Cage cut in confidently, "Yes, Eden is. Doctor Tsing had worked out a full plan. Eden has been receiving physiotherapy type sessions with Emerson and Tsing has been giving Eden one shot a day for pain."

A frown tried to take hold of my features, but I held it back and bit my lip. I looked at Cage trying to catch his eye, but he held his father's stare. Why was he lying? Since Dante was the president, I'd assume he'd know about everything. Cage was only helping me and trying to get me to overcome my injuries and fears. He wanted me to not fear Grounders or my sh¡t 'friends'. He wanted me to be able to defend myself and protect the people that have helped me and made me feel safe. Cage wanted me to reach my full potential, what was wrong with that?