The Battle Part 2

Harry POV

The Chimera was definitely not something that I wanted to see ever again. I am only half listening to Nico, who is at my side and trying to brief me on my role in killing this thing, instead choosing to focus on the beast. Of course the monster is a cross of animals (I can only imagine how that happened), with a head of a lion, the body of a goat, and the head and neck of a snake for a tail. It is easily one of the most frightening thing I've ever had the displeasure of seeing. 

"It breathes fire-" Nico says. 

It does what!? 

"The fangs of the snake are filled with deadly poison, one bite will easily kill you-"

What?? What have I signed up for!?

"It has a humans intelligence, so outsmarting it is not an option-"

Is there anything this monster CAN'T do?

"And it's mother, echidna, is probably lurking in the shadows somewhere-"

What's an echidna?

"So the plan is to distract it. Get the key. Free Percy. Then get the hades out of here."

I turn to Nico who is looking at the beast. It has it's eyes zoomed in on us, it isn't moving though, it's waiting for us to make the first move. 

"Oh is that all?" I reply sarcastically. Nico fixes his cold stare on me and I can read the message loud and clear. Be serious, Percy's life is on the line! This is no time for jokes!

I just look down at the ground and try to ignore him. I can feel the tips of my ears getting hot with shame and embarrassment. Nico decides that this is the best time to move on, he glides across the ground to our prey. In his case, dodging the masses of people fighting beasts is easy, for me, it is another matter entirely. I trip nearly five times, stumble from people smashing into me, and feel the need to defend all of my comrades every two seconds. 

I can't just leave them there...

No. Come on Harry, Professor Jackson's counting on you!

I steel my nerves and try to move as elegantly as Nico. Obviously it doesn't work, but I give it a go. 

I am now within a 5 metre circumference of the beast, we stare at each other for a little while before attacking. Nico goes first, drawing his sword and attempting to plunge it straight through it's shoulder. It doesn't quite go as planned since the monster dodges to the left. Luckily Nico has a back up plan, and continues his swing with a neat cut to the right. 

This chops off half of the monster's mane, along with it's ear and it now has a large scar running down it's face. 

It is not happy. 

I decide that this is when I should come in and I charge in as a defiant roar escapes my mouth. 

"AAAAARRRGGGGHHHH!" I shout at the monster. 

I get an incredibly lucky hit and manage to place a large cut on it's back. It's attention is drawn to me, it opens it's mouth and lets loose a roar. Along with an enormous amount of fire. 

I barely have enough time to get out my wand and cast a  defensive spell. My spell also happens to protect the poor witches and wizards behind me, although it does nothing to spare the monsters. The chimera has just stupidly taken out 1/8 of it's army. 

Yeah, this thing has human intelligence... sure.

Nico grunts and shoves his sword into the belly of the beast.