Being a Teacher

Percy POV

I woke at the crack of dawn this morning. A combination of years of battle instincts and my assassin job for the government before this job, led to me naturally waking up at 6 am. After that the first thing that I did was go to my new classroom. 

I glide around the classroom observing the ceiling to floor windows, old fashioned chalkboard and rows of single desks neatly in place waiting for bored students to sleep in them. This is what I expected. That's why it needs to change. 

I mean... This school has a chalkboard. This is a magical school, and the best that they can afford is a chalkboard! Come on! 

I use my new knowledge of magic to pick up the desks and chairs, and stack them up against the wall so that they are as out of the way as possible. 

Next I cast a spell on the black board, this spell creates a portal from this room to a room that I created. The room I created I have dubbed "The war room". This is the room that I will be teaching my students in most of the time. The room is connected to the living quarters that I was given from the headmaster. 

After that is done go outside to scout around, checking for any dangers. I have been alerted by the headmaster that this school is completely safe, and that I have no need to worry while I am here. But old habits die hard, so I can't really control the need to check out the school grounds every 24 hours.. 

Maybe I'm a bit paranoid after my time in Tartarus. I always expect something to be sneaking up on me. To jump at me from the shadows. I always expect my life to be in danger. I've never had the luxury of complete and utter peace. 

I sense somebody approaching me from behind. I hear their footsteps as their feet crush the blades of grass beneath them. I hear their breath, short and sharp in the cool autumn air (A/N it would be autumn in London in September right? I don't live in the northern hemisphere..). 

"Professor Jackson, I did not expect you to be up so early," Hagrid's voice tears apart the calm silent atmosphere. 

"Old habits, Hagrid. Old habits. I am used to being up early. The best things happen at the crack of dawn. Why are you up so early?" 

"Well I had to start attending to my garden haha," He breaks off with an awkward chuckle. I glance back at him and in a split second have taken in his worn expression. The black circles beneath his eyes, the slumped posture. He's having nightmares. 

I disregard his previous comment, which is an obvious lie, and continue as if I hadn't heard it. 

"I also have trouble sleeping at night. My friends from the war, my enemies, my past experiences, all of them gather together in my thoughts and haunt me at night."

I walk up to him and put my small hand on his extremely large arm, well he is half giant, and look him in the eyes as I say. "You are not alone, Hagrid. Don't lie about what is happening. You never get better by denying the truth."

With that I walk back up to the castle just in time for breakfast. 

---------------------------------------------

Half way through breakfast I sense a disturbance outside. Nobody else would notice it, but after years of listening to the faint sounds of a monster and knowing that I need to get up and run, I can pick out when something isn't right quite easily. I quietly excuse myself from breakfast and tuck my chair in before silently and swiftly creeping out of the great hall. 

I stick to the shadows as I slink outside and take in the sight before me. Right next to the lake a couple of dracanea have just begun their climb of the hill.