How to Kill a Monster

Harry POV

A couple of days pass before our next Defense Against the Dark Arts lesson. As we all file into the classroom we see that absolutely nothing has changed. Our professor is already waiting for us at the front of the classroom. He sits on his desk, deep in thought, twirling a pen around his fingers.

He looks up as we loosely form a couple of lines in a semicircle around him. I take this moment to look at him. He looks like hell.

Percy's hair is sticking up in all directions, like he hasn't even heard of a comb. His eyes have large bags under them and I can instantly tell that he hasn't been sleeping. He is hunched over slightly as he looks at us calmly.

Taking in his half-dazed state reminds me that I've been sleeping wonderfully. Whatever he gave me that night is still working because I haven't had a nightmare since. I remind myself to thank him at some point.. Although it's no use because I'll probably just forget anyway..

He sighs slightly and straightens.

"Okay, let's go."

With those simple words he plunges into the black board, the rest of the class following him.

We enter the room and it is exactly the same as before. He hasn't even set up any dummies. How are we supposed to learn how to fight monsters if he isn't giving us anything to practice on?

Sometimes I question how teachers do things.

"Alright class, listen up," He addressed the class, "Do you remember the headmaster's speech the other day? How one class would be scouting the dark forest for monsters? Well guess which lucky class has been chosen. Yep, you guys!"

He grins at us happily. We stare back shocked. I mean, we were all thinking that it was going to be this class. We are the most senior class, with the most amount of experience. But it still came as a bit of a shock.

I guess we were all secretly hoping that it wasn't true.

I'm done with fighting. I don't want to be part of another war.

Apparently my classmates are thinking the same thing. Some random Slytherin guy steps up to question our teacher.

"But Sir, we have already been through so much. Please can you reconsider. Perhaps the next best class?"

He just stares at him blankly. Ron steps up next.

"Yeah Professor, we don't really want to get involved. We'll learn how to defend ourselves for in case a monster comes right up to us, but we really don't want to actively fight them."

I take this as my turn to talk, so I steel my shoulders and stand up straight.

"Professor Jackson, we understand that this is serious, but can't you choose someone else? I mean.. We just came out of a war, we really don't want to be on the front line any more.."

He looks at us with obvious disappointment.

"So you would rather have your inexperienced junior students out there protecting Hogwarts because you think that you.. deserve a break? I chose you because you're battle weary. You know how to make the tough decisions. I can trust that you will protect yourselves out there. You are survivors. I need you to help me fight this new enemy."

I can see everyone's resolve's cracking, but I decide to have one more go.

"Look Professor we just want some peace-"

"Peace? PEACE?" He roars at me, "I have been in and out of wars since I turned twelve! News flash people, there will always be evil in the world. And I believe that those who have the ability to stop it, have the responsibility to stop it."