Eavesdropping

Harry POV

Today started off alright, then around lunchtime it moved on to terrifying and shocking, then became one of the most boring days of my life. 

After Professor Jacks- Percy defeated whatever attacked us, and we were told that we didn't have class (YES) but we had to stay in doors (NOO!!) I've been doing nothing. Ron, Hermione and I are lazing around the common room with everybody else in Griffindor. After my twentieth match of wizards  chess against Ron I get so sick of the game I could kill myself. 

For the hundredth time this hour I turn to Hermione to see what's kept her so busy. Studying, obviously, and homework. She's been engrossed in the same set of books for hours. How does she do it?

"Okay Harry, how about we play best out of 25?" Ron mumbles into his palm as he slouches across the couch. 

"No, Ron, I'm sick of wizards chess. We have to find something else to do. Something else that will entertain us."

"We could go to the room of requirement..? Practice our skills. It could be like Dumbledore's Army except just the two of us..."

My mind flashes to an image of Ron and I standing side by side taking turns firing off random spells at a straw dummy. We both stand there and lazily lift our arms every time it's our turn. 

I have to physically shake my head to get rid of that thought. After last night's excellent sleep I feel refreshed, like I can do anything. I haven't slept like that in years! And I'm not going to spend my first day of the new Harry tiredly exchanging spells in a room with Ron. 

"No. No, I think I'd rather have another round of chess."

"What if we play quidditch? That would keep us entertained!"

"Quidditch is outside, idiot. We can't do that. We have to think of something else."

Ron contemplates this for a minute before opening his mouth to say something. 

"What if we-"

I cut him off before he can go any further, "NO we are not going to raid the kitchen!" 

"I wasn't going to say that.." He grunts. 

I sigh. "Fine. What is your idea, oh wise one."

"We could spy on people like you used to. Using the marauders map! You used to stay up for hours looking at people walking around! We could see where people are."

I look at him doubtfully but obediently retrieve the map. 

"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good." 

The map springs to life, Ron and I eagerly scan through the pages looking for anything even remotely interesting. Sadly, most of the population of Hogwarts is seated in their respective common rooms. Only a few stray students are situated in public areas like the library. 

Nobody is in the great hall. Which isn't really a surprise because of the monster attack that happened at lunch. I don't think anyone wants to go back there for dinner. 

We continue to scan the map when our eyes land on a huddle of people in a room that I've never been to before. It is near the headmaster's office but hidden away. I didn't even know we had a room like that. 

I try to read out the names of the people but I can't see much other than the occasional letter. The people are standing so close to each other that their names are interfering with the other people's names. 

"Ron."

"Yeah.."

"Do you see this."

"See what?"