15

"What...are you talking about?" Jaemin said eventually, his throat squeezing uncomfortably.

"I know she's threatening you hyung and its not right," Chenle shook his head, his eyes trained on Jaemins face.

"Chenle...she's not-" Jaemin tried to deny.

He can't risk his friends getting hurt because he fucked up.

"Jaemin hyung," Chenle kept a firm gaze on the elder. "Look me in the eyes right now and tell me she's not threatening you."

Jaemin gave one look into Chenle's eyes before his head dropped to look at the ground.

He couldn't do it.

He couldnt lie to the only person who's always been honest with him.

Chenle was an honest person.

He is the most honest person he can be because he is the most genuine human being in the world. He is only looking out for someone's benefit.

"Hyung," Chenle put a hand on Jaemins shoulder. "Have you told Jeno hyung?"

"No," Jaemin shook his head. "I can't. She...she makes him happy."

"...are you sure about that?" Chenle raised a brow, thinking of all the times Jeno's felt weird without Jaemin at lunch or in the hallways.

How he's seen Jeno frown when Jaemin doesn't sit with him in study hall.

Or how Jaemin's purposely talked to someone else just as he tries to talk to the younger.

"He misses you," Chenle took Jaemins hand in his and played with his fingers.

"He can't," Jaemin's head tilted back, eyes closed as he swallowed thickly. "If it means protecting who I love then I'll have to let Jeno go even if I-"

"Others? She's threatening more than just you?" Chenle raised a brow to look at him.

Jaemin was silent.

"Hyung...you shouldn't have to let go of someone who makes you happy," Chenle's voice was gentle. "You love Jeno. That's ok-"

"I don't make him happy," Jaemin let his arm come up to wipe his nose on his sleeve. "I'm bothering him. We used to be inseparable but I messed that up. I'm gay. My sexuality is poisoning our friendship...it's poisoning my life."

"Hyung..." Chenle turned speechless at that. "That's not true-"

How could Jaemin think that?

"It is," Jaemin looked at him with glassy eyes and a defeated face.

Jaeming was hurting.

Jaemin was done.

"It is and I am determined to make everyone happy again," Jaemins chin wobbled as he looked to his side and up the dark street. "And if that means cutting off my friendships then so be it."

"But...you love-" Chenle tried to say.

"It doesn't matter lele," Jaemin shook his head. "Even with out Yeeun. It would never make a difference."

Jeno doesn't love Jaemin.

Not in the way Jaemin loves him.

If he can keep everyone happy and safe then he will.

Even if he has to settle with becoming strangers with his best friend.

What he can't settle for is the black eye Chenle comes in with a week later.