𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 40

I sat in my hospital bed, letting the air around me be filled with negativity and any other hostile emotion one can possibly feel. The light peeking through the blinds. Outside of hospital walls, the world was still bright. Steve stayed with me the entire time, his company made me feel sane.

I've lost a friend, a baby, and a boyfriend all in the same night, I deserve to go insane. In fact, I almost lost myself as well. I could've died last night. hell, with everything that's happened I wouldn't mind being dead. Just when I thought things couldn't get worse... It did.

Breaking the silence, Steve spoke up, "You haven't said anything in half an hour. What are you thinkin' about?" I faced away and fiddled around with the hospital sheets. I shrugged, "It's nothing, Steve. I just don't feel like talking" I said with an attitude. I felt him being a bit taken back. I shouldn't have been so rude to him since he's stuck by my side since I've gotten here.

"...I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say it like that" I apologized. He shook his head, "No" he said, "You are going through a lot right now and I don't wanna add on top of anything." Steve got up from his seat and headed for the door. "Where are you going?" I asked. "I'm gonna head to the cafeteria, I told Evie I'd meet her down there."

"Oh," I said, "Don't worry, we'll be back up to check on you." Steve smiled. I nodded my head understandingly. After he left the room, it became quieter than it had been before. All you could hear was doctors and nurses pacing around and wheelchairs strolling by the halls. It wasn't till a timid knock on the door interrupted the quietness.
I flinched and said, "Come in." without any thought. Just thinking it was a nurse to check up on me.

The door opened and it was my Dad. I haven't talked to him since I left home. Steve said he came hours before I woke up with my Mom and Sister. He was there. But now that I am awake, he is actually fully there as he stands right in front of me. What do you say to someone you ended off on a bad note with? "Hey how are you?" "What's been new?" "Just heard you got shot" "Oh thanks for the concern." DO YOU SEE WHAT I MEAN?

At the end of the day, he is still my Dad. That's what's important. He closes the door behind him with his hands behind his back. Probably the same thought going through his mind right about now, wondering on what the hell to say. Dad took a seat beside me on the hospital bed and exhaled, "For the past two and a half months, I've been regretting everything that has happened that night. I thought I was doing what is best for you but really, I was just being selfish."

"I mean I just threw you out of the house like a dog and into the cruel streets. Knowing how dangerous it could be. Watching you walk into Dallas' car with tears filled in your eyes and seeing you drive off, has made me lose control of who I am as a person, a doctor, and a father. Everyday I wish I could take it all back but I can't. And because of what I've done, look at what has happened."

I watch tears build up in his eyes. Getting so heavy, it began to trickle down his face and into his lap as he slumps over. I tightly grabbed onto his hand, it made him turn around and grin, "I'm sorry, Maryanne." He says. I wasn't sure what to really say to him. I've been waiting for this moment for so long, all I wanted to do was to hug him and know that everything was going to be okay. My hand was enough for him because shortly after, he picked himself up and wiped the tears off his face.

"There's one more thing I've been wanting to give you," I was really confused on what he meant by that. Dad rushed over to the door and slowly opened it. It came to realization to what he was talking about. As he heard the door being opened, Dally turned himself around and faced me, his neutral expression turned into a smile.

The only word that fell out of my mouth was, "How?" Dally was supposed to be in jail, I wasn't expecting to see him at all. "I bailed him out an hour ago. I've never seen you look or feel the way you do around anyone the way you do for Dal. It was wrong, now I'm making up for my mistakes." Dad said.