west coast poplock

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - mentions of alcohol use/smoking ; swearing.

soon enough, ryder started playing some music on the speaker next to you. estee fixed everyone drinks, which made you an acceptable amount of more comfortable around everyone. you still felt oddly out of place, looking at them as they laughed and danced with each other, but whatever was in your cup made all your bad thoughts go away in an instant. ryder also started making small talk with you as you both sat there, observing the surroundings.

short after your wild conversations with ryder began, olan came to the two of you and asked you to play a song, claiming that you have a good taste. he made sure to let you know he trusts you to make this party come alive. ryder passed you his phone and you played the first song that felt right, in the moment. you emptied the cup you held before pressing play, praying that they'll enjoy the song as much as you do. ryder gave you a reassuring smile, recognizing the song.

west coast poplock blasted through the speakers, making everyone dance around, even the people that were chilling on the sofa earlier. with the bit of alcohol running through you, you got up from the stool and let the beat take over you.

as you were dancing alone in the pool of people, ryder couldn't take his eyes off of you. he felt something unusual spark within him ; the type of feeling that has you smiling like an idiot all the time. he watched you sway around the music, eyes half shut, not giving a single fuck about everyone around you and what they thought. that was something he admired in you, ever since that first day in front of the store. he listened to your small drunk-ish giggles more than the actual song, and he loved every second of it. before he could overthink about what exactly he was feeling tough, someone approached you.

- - - - - - - - - your pov.

i didn't feel much besides the beat ringing in my ears and making me feel like my skin is jumping on me. the worst part was probably not being able to tell if it's just because the music is loud, or the small amount of alcohol i digested. anyway, i was enjoying myself when i saw a familiar figure stopping in front of me.

'sun boyyyyy' i dragged out the 'y' as if i wanted this moment of simply looking into his beautiful eyes to never end. i didn't give him enough time to say anything, i just pushed my body against his and started dancing again. yes, i think it was the alcohol taking over at this point, because i felt hot - hot like boiling, to the point where i started wondering if i'm in hell for enjoying dancing up on him like that.

enjoying... enjoying is a big word. but i can't deny the way my heart started beating harder than the drums in any arctic monkeys song. nonetheless he didn't seem to hate it either. i could see him smile with the corner of my eye and that was enough to convince me he might feel it too. the oh-so-clichéic warmth and safety you only usually experience through putting yourself in the shoes of a rom-com protagonist ; the breathtaking crush that blossomed in my chest and spread across me as his hands wrapped around my waist.

yes, i'm drunk. i can't take alcohol apparently. and i also just tried to kiss sunny as i was mentally writing this paragraph. luckily, olan saved me from a big oopsie by pulling me away when he saw me lean in. 'shit, are you drunk?' he asked as i continued to giggle annoyingly, unbothered. 'i'm no-' i interrupted myself with more giggles. sober me would hate drunk me for sure. 'i just need... i need a time-out' i said, eyebrows furrowed as i remembered that i just tried to kiss sunny a few minutes ago.

i pushed past people until i saw myself outside in the backyard, then sat down on one of the steps. 'ah fuck' i groaned, burying my head into my hands. all i could see in front of my closed eyes was the image of sunny looking at me terrified as i leaned in. there was no smile left on his face, and his eyes filled with... confusion? i don't know, but that was quite idiotic of me to do. i pulled out a new pack of cigarettes i kept away from everyone in my life until now and placed one in my mouth. i threw a glance back in the room for a brief second, and i saw sunny now dancing with estee. the faded music made my brain hurt, and i felt like the whole world just ran from under my feet. i turned my head back to the front. i was about to punch the wall realizing i had no lighter when ryder opened the door and sat down next to me. he lit up my cigar in silence, holding my chin up with his other hand. i looked into his eyes as he did it, and the alcohol infected side of me regretted not trying to kiss him instead of sunny.

'hey, you were quite bold out there lil one' he smiled, pushing me jokingly from the side. god, he is just so adorable. 'it was rather embarrassing' i looked down, shame washing over me as i remembered dancing on sunny like i was about to melt into him completely. 'it was pretty badass. all the girls were looking at you filled with jealousy... and rightfully so!' he said, then winked in the most charismatic way i've ever seen someone wink. shit, i didn't even think about estee and her friends watching. 'i didn't know so many girls were into sunny' i rolled my eyes.

'not jealousy like that, dummy. jealousy because you have so much confidence and you're doing what you want. not only that, but you're doing it very damn well too' he laughed, keeping his bright smile on. i looked up at him, smiling too. he just has this way of noticing me that makes me feel like i actually mean something to this world. i blew smoke in his face as a response, 'you're cheesy ryderrrr' i giggled again. 'look, i don't know how drunk you are, but do you mind if i...' he leaned in, cupping my face with his hand. i shook my head no excitedly, thinking about how i'm on the verge of sharing my first kiss with someone so cute.

just as our lips were about to smash in a passionate kiss, as writers like to describe, we were cockblocked by the door opening suddenly...

and sunny joining us on the steps.

- - - - - - - - - - -

a/n : finished writing this at 2am, it's not much but it's honest work kshcksjsjdjf i promise it's gonna get more interesting from now on ;)<3