hot rod

i bet you could picture just how shocked i was. it wasn't exactly what i thought of when i said he should apologize, but it wasn't a bad apology either. i stared at him in awe for a few seconds, completely out of it. he looked so pretty, rays of sunshine sliding against his soft skin, all world's noise blocked out by his presence. the smile spread on his lips - the same ones he just kissed me with - nothing else mattered in that moment. you know that feeling of hearing your favorite song for the first time, before even knowing it's going to become your all time favorite? yes, that's the best way to describe what i was feeling.

'you stole my title but i didn't expect you to steal my seat too' i could hear ryder's voice, followed by his laugh. 'yeah y/n got some ice cream on her face and asked me to help her clean it, right?' sunny replied, grabbing my hand under the table. i nodded then smiled, freaking out on the inside. his fingers continued to play with mine as we were back to making conversation. i couldn't focus on whatever we were talking about though, because i was busy thinking of his hand resting on my thigh. when i tried to push it away, he would put it back higher, just to distract me even more. i had to make sure not to move too abruptly, so ryder wouldn't notice our little game.

brain soup. i looked up at him, defeated, and i noticed a little sparkle in his eyes. the more i looked, the more i realized that i've been missing out on how good looking he is. i think i got stung by cupid because oh my — i couldn't stop looking. i was eventually awoken by him pinching my thigh, to stop staring probably.

oh, he's so paying for this later.

by the time we got up, it was already noon. i wasn't looking forward to going back home, but i knew i had to. the boys insisted to take me home, but i refused, because i didn't want them to see my parents. and i'm pretty sure my parents wouldn't have liked seeing them either.

- - - - - - - - -

i find myself sitting on my bed, staring at the ceiling, mind crowded with all sorts of thoughts. my parents punished me for getting in a fight, saying shit like 'you've changed, you used to be such a happy little girl' and blaming everything on me. well, i miss the old them. they weren't always like this. they used to care and communicate and actually make me feel like i'm there. whatever, i wasn't going to let them get to me again.

i got up, plugged my phone into my speakers and started playing hot rod by dayglow. dancing around in my room has always been my go-to for bad days. when will people ever make me feel like music does? i tried remembering what i felt when i looked at sunny earlier, as i sang my heart out to the lyrics like i love doing (yeah, yeah, cue the life of the party jokes). while i was immersed in my obviously professional concert, i didn't notice the whispers coming from my window. by the time i turned my head around, sunny had already seen half of my performance. i flinched at the sight of him, then hurriedly asked what he was doing here.

sunny had other plans though, he climbed into my room as slowly as possible, trying not to make any sound. 'i want to join your performance, if i may', he said, grabbing my hand. i rolled my eyes and resumed my dancing. he danced along with me, and i noticed the same passion i found in myself. it made me smile, knowing i'm not the only one who holds concerts by myself. we sang along to hot rod, louder and louder. i was so happy that i almost felt like it wasn't real. i wouldn't have ever imagined i'd get to share my amazing guitar solo impression skills with someone else, but here i was, jamming out to one of my favorite songs with my favorite person. once we were tired of screaming the lyrics at the top of our lungs, we crashed on my bed, waiting to hear what the next song would be.

at this point, i didn't care if my parents heard anything. i was too lost in his presence. with the music blasting through every dark thought in my mind, my hand searched for his as we were both staring at the ceiling. the adults are talking by the strokes started playing. i looked at sunny, excited to sing along, but he told me he didn't know the song. 'DO YOU LIVE UNDER A ROCK??! HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW THIS?!' i exclaimed, obviously angry at his statement. no seriously, this is illegal.

- - - - - - sunny's pov.

she got up and started singing the chorus. she was dancing along to the rythm and she looked so cute, mimicking playing the guitar. if i could choose a moment to relive for the rest of my life, i'd choose this one. she smiled at me and i followed her facial expressions. it was heartwarming how invested she was in singing along, i don't think i've ever seen someone so aggressively passionate about music.

without even realizing, i got up and stopped her from her dancing. i was met with her warm, curious gaze, hidden behind the shadows of her hair as if hiding. i looked at her face, completely mesmerized. i could tell she wanted to say something, but before she could do so, i crashed my lips onto hers.

she kissed back in an instant and i was so happy that we finally got to kiss each other without any interruptions. i felt her arms wrap around my neck as she pushed me down back onto her bed. a knot of excitement formed within me as i found out she was waiting for this moment as much as i was. kissing her was was like an escape from reality. i got lost in the softness of her lips and the feeling of her fingers roaming around in my hair. she was good at it. her body was resting against mine, so close that i could feel the warmth radiating off her skin. i heard got your money by kelis and odb playing in the background, a song i never thought i'd make out with someone to.

we were both startled when we heard a voice shout y/n's name from the other side of the door. i assumed it was her mother. she got up, blushing and  whispering to me to keep quiet. i wanted to laugh, i was so happy that i wasn't sure i could keep quiet. i wonder if she ever notices that - my smile when i'm around her, that i just can't contain. i looked at her as she opened the door, eyes darting up and down.

she talked to her mom for a while, convincing her she's alone and fine. i didn't listen to their conversation because it felt private. instead, i looked at her face. i couldn't get enough. she was looking down, biting on her bottom lip nervously as her mother was lecturing her on the fight, from what i unintentionally heard. i wanted to hug her right then, tell her everything is okay, but i waited. soon enough, i saw her closing the door and coming back towards me, 'you are one lucky man sun boy' she said, then hit me with one of her pillows, 'if i wouldn't have covered for you so well, you would be fucked', she laughed. i loved how no matter what awkward situation she was in, she'd somehow make fun of it. 'i'm pretty good at jumping out the window though' i replied and continued the pillow fight, making her laugh even more.

'you okay in there?' we heard her mom shout again. 'yes! just watching a funny video' y/n shouted back, trying to cover my own laughs. i tried to pull her closer, causing her to fall right into my arms somehow. i hugged her and kissed her forehead,
'will you make me a playlist?'