Chapter 6

"This is where you could spend the rest of your life," Mat said. "I'm sure North Carolina is probably nicer, but this is my home, I actually really like it here,"

"I like it here too," Bailey said. "I was born here, but I was raised in North Carolina,"

"Accustom to it, you'll love it here," Mat suggested. "I wasn't born here, but it's my home now,"

"Yeah, I could see myself living here," Bailey said.

"It's a good place to live," Mat said.

They took a walk in a park nearby. Leaves falling from the trees and wind blowing. Bailey shivered in the New York breeze. Mat took off his jacket and put it around her. Bailey looked up at him and smiled.

"Thank you," Bailey said. They sit down on a park bench.

"I don't know if I could get used to this weather," Bella said.

"I'm from Canada, this is warm for me," Mat jokes. "What would you be doing in North Carolina, swimming?"

"No, it's cool in North Carolina, but not this chilly," Bailey said, smiling. "I would not be swimming in fifty-degree weather,"

"I wouldn't think so," Mat laughed.

"Actually, there was this one time where the pool water was fifty degrees, and my brothers and I went swimming," Bailey said.

"Seriously?" Mat asked.

"Yeah, it was super cold but really fun," Bailey said. "I remember it like it was yesterday,"

"Wow that sounds fun," Mat said. "I haven't gone swimming since the summer,"

"That was back when I was fourteen, I had no chill, so I jumped in,"

Mat laughed.

They got up and walked around for a while. Bailey shivered and jogged in place to keep warm. Mat smiled at her.

"Wanna go home?" Mat asked as the breeze hit them stronger.

Bailey's hair blew all over her face.

"Sure," Bailey said.

The wind blew strong, shaking the trees and causing Bailey to shiver.

"I'll race you to the car!" Mat said, running to his car.

"Hey!" Bailey ran to catch up with Mat.

Mat threw open the car door and started laughing. Bailey hopped in the passenger seat.

"Barzy," She smiled, out of breath.

"I win," He smiled.

"That's not even-" She laughed.

Mat drove Bailey back to Victoria's apartment.

"Have fun at practice tonight," Bailey said to Mat before going to Victoria's place.

"Thanks," Mat said. "See you tomorrow,"

Mat watched Bailey go inside before he drove back to his condo. It was 4 o'clock, he had practice at 7. When he got to his place, he sat on his couch and scrolled through his Instagram feed. He scrolled through posts from NHL, top goals, and top saves from the week.

By the time that it was 5:30, he headed out the door to go to practice. He thought about Bailey the whole way there. Does she like me? Are we just friends? Is she going to stay in New York with me?

When he got back to the rink, he met up with a few of his buddies, Tito and Jordan Eberle.

"So you brought that hockey girl to Anders's bar-be-que, eh," Jordan said. "Is she your girlfriend?"