Chapter 16

"Is there a game on?" Bailey asked Mat, plopping herself on the couch.

"I don't know," Mat said. "Most likely, but I don't know who,"

"Oh, Vegas and LA are playing," Bailey said, putting that on.

"Vegas is gonna win," Mat said.

"I think so too," Bailey said. "They made it pretty far in the cup last year,"

"So did we," Mat said.

"And we're gonna make it even farther this year," Bailey said, confidently.

"You sure we can get past the semi-finals this year?" Mat asked.

"Gotta prove the haters wrong somehow, right?" Bailey asked.

"There's the spirit!" Mat said.

They both shared a bag of almonds before they were too tired to stay awake.

"Ugh, I'm so tired," Bailey yawned.

"Then go to bed," Mat laughed.

"I can't get up," Bailey groaned.

Mat got up and went over to the side of the couch where Bailey was. He grabbed her legs and held her back. He swooped her up and carried her to her room. When he got to her bed, he aggressively dropped her on the bed. Bailey laughed as she hit the bed.

"Better?" Mat asked.

"I need to go to the bathroom," Bailey said.

"You're on your own for that," Mat laughed.

Bailey gave up and got into her covers. Mat turned off her light and shut the door for her. He went back to the living room to turn off the TV and went to his room. He sat on his bed on Instagram for two hours. He closed his eyes at around 1:00 AM, trying to fall asleep. He missed yesterday when Bailey was there with him. Now there was just an empty space in the spot where she was.

Bailey woke up at around 9:00, she slept in a little more than usual because it was a Sunday. Usually, she and Mat don't do much on Sundays, they mostly just relax and watch movies. Sometimes they would meet some friends, but everyone's been so busy lately, especially the hockey players with playoffs going on.

Mat was already awake in his room. Bailey saw the door open so she walked in.

"Hey," Bailey said. She sat on the chair in the corner of his room.

"Sup," Mat said to Bailey. "Hey, Bails, since you're there, can you grab my charger?"

Bailey stands up and goes to his dresser. She got the charger that was right next to the envelope. She picked it up.

"Hey Barzy," Bailey said.

"What's up?" Mat asked, still looking at his phone.

"What's this?" She asked, holding up the envelope.

Mat looked up. His heart raced.

"Nothing," He said. "It's trash, you can throw it away,"

"If it's nothing, can I read it?" Bailey asked.

"Bailey-" Mat tried to stop her. "You know what, go ahead,"

"Really?" Bailey asked.

"You were honest with me last night, so I'm gonna be honest with you now," Mat told her. "I wrote that when I thought you were gonna leave for North Carolina,"

Bailey,

I know you're going to North Carolina and stuff, but I just wanna let you know that I'm never gonna forget you. You were one of the best things to ever happen to me. This may sound corny but you light up my life like a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day. Bailey, I'm going to miss you so much. I didn't think anything would happen between us, but I kinda wish it would. If you don't, I understand. I know that things can't happen anyway because you're in NC and I'm still here. It also wouldn't be fair to you because I'm always on road trips and shit for hockey. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you how I felt and I'm going to think about our practices all of the time. I told the guys about you and they think you're really cool. I think you're pretty cool too. Keep playing hockey and never change.