Chapter 19

Mat drove Bailey to the game. Coach let her sit with them, even though she wasn't in the lineup. Bailey was upset that she wouldn't play, but she hasn't watched the Islanders in months, which was something she missed. Of course, playing for them was better, but having a team to watch and to love was something that she missed.
"Play hard for me, Barzy," Bailey said, watching him go into the locker room.

He looked back at her, gave her an "I'm sorry" smile, and kept going.

Bailey sat on the bench watching as the lineup got on the ice. Leo Komarov took her place, which she especially wasn't happy about. Anders Lee took a seat next to her.

"Why aren't you out there?" He asked. "You hurt?"

"Physically, no," Bailey said. "They kinda let me off of the roster,"

"Who?" Anders asked. "Coach?"

"No, he actually is being nice enough to let me sit here," Bailey said. "Mat told me that it might be Malkin,"

"Did he really-" Anders paused. "And now they're letting Komarov in the lineup?"

"It's bullshit," Bailey whispered.

"That sucks, Bailey, I'm sorry," Anders said. "Do you know why he let you off?"

"Probably because they expected more out of me and didn't get it or something," Bailey said.

"I don't think that's it," Anders said. "There's gotta be more to it, you played pretty good on Saturday,"

"I guess pretty good isn't enough for him," Bailey said.

"Did you talk to Malkin yet?" Anders asked.

"No, not yet, I was hoping he'd be at the game," Bailey said.

"Yeah, I would suggest just talking to him," Anders told her.

"I hope he'll listen," Bailey said.

"Yeah," Anders said.

The team got warmed up on the ice for their second game against the Boston Bruins. Ilya Sorokin was in the net, preparing to save whatever came to him. The starting lineup consisted of Jordan Eberle, Mat Barzal, Leo Komarov, Ryan Pulock, and Adam Pelech. Anders and Bailey looked at each other, wishing that they would both be out there. Though if Anders was there, Bailey wouldn't be in the starting lineup, she would fill in for someone else.

Before the game started, Bailey's phone rang. She looked at who it was. It was a random number that she didn't recognize. She turned off her ringtone and ignored the call.

Bailey watched the game as the puck dropped, trying not to be emotional. She noticed that in the first period, the Bruins came in strong, absolutely dominating. It was hard to watch back to back goals by the Bruins, half-way through the first period. Matt Martin was fortunate enough to tap one in, which changed Boston's lead down to only one. The first line was absolutely lost without Bailey or Anders. Barry Trotz knew he made a mistake in who to put in for Bailey.

The post first period speech was unbearable by the coach. He commented on everything that needed a touch up. It was a rough period with two of the team's superstars on the bench.

"This is not our game," Coach said. "I don't know what you're trying to prove, but you can't do it here and you certainly can't do it now."

He looked at Bailey in the corner of the locker room, listening in.

"I know what we lost yesterday, but it's no excuse for playing like this," Coach said. "We want that cup, don't we?"

"Yes, Coach," The team responded.