4 - The gathering

It was now nightfall, and more and more Narnians had arrived since the morning, gathering in a large group. Willow had been pushed to the side of the gathering, and watched in horror as the Narnians shouted various and violent insults at Caspian.

"Kill him!"

"Dirty Telmarine!"

"Liar!"

"Murderer!"

She turned to one of the centaurs. "Please, help him." She pleaded, and the centaur gave her a hopeless glance.

A dwarf spoke up. "All the horn proves is that they've stolen yet another thing from us!"

"I didn't steal anything." Caspian spat, and Willow winced at his tone.

"Didn't steal anything?" A Minotaur spoke up, and pointed a finger at Caspian. "Shall we list the things the Telmarines have taken?"

"Our homes!"

"Our land!"

"Our freedom!"

"Our lives!"

"You stole Narnia!"

Caspian scowled. "You would hold me accountable for the crimes of my people?!"

"Accountable? And punishable." Nikabrik spoke up, and Willow tried to get forward, but another centaur yanked her back.

Reepicheep jumped down from his rock. "Ha! That's rich coming from you, dwarf! Or have you forgotten it was your people who fought alongside the White Witch?"

"And I'd gladly do it again if it would rid us of these barbarians." Nik shouted back, and Trufflehunter intervened.

"Then it's lucky that it's not  in your power to bring her back." He said, "Or are you suggesting that we ask this boy to go against Aslan now?"

There was a great cry of noise at the mention of the lion, and Willow tried once more to get to the front. "Caspian!" She cried, and he turned in the direction of her voice, his eyes widening when he saw where she was.

"Some of you may have forgotten, but we badgers remember well, that Narnia was never right except when a son of Adam was king."

"He's a Telmarine! Why would we want him as our king?" Nik shouted, and the others in the gathering agreed.

Willow had had enough. "Because he can help you!" She yelled, and the clearing fell silent. She picked her way through the crowd, and towards him. She turned slowly, and looked them all in the eyes. "I've only known Prince Caspian for a day, and I'd trust him with my life. At least hear him out, before you be so cruelly judgemental." Caspian shot her a graceful smile, and she stepped back, and motioned for him to continue.

"Beyond these woods, I am a Prince. The Telmarine throne is rightfully mine! Help me claim it, and I can bring peace between us."

The head centaur stepped forward. "It is true. The time is ripe. I watched the skies, for it is mine to watch, as it is yours to remember, badger. Tarva, the lord of victory and Alambil, the lady of peace, have come together in the high heavens. And now here, a son of Adam had come forth, to offer us back our freedom."

A squirrel jumped up and down nearby. "Is this possible? Do you really think there could be peace?!"

Caspian turned to the squirrel. "Two days ago I didn't believe in the existence of talking animals. Or dwarves, or centaurs. Yet here you are in strength and numbers that we Telmarines could never have imagined! Whether this horn is magic or not, it brought us together. And together, we have a chance to take back what is ours."

The centaur stepped forward again. "If you will lead us, then my sons and I offer you our swords." Each centaur unsheathed his sword, and they held it up. Group by group, the Narnians pulled their weapons out and held them high, and Willow watched in amazement. She pulled out her own, and Caspian faced her.

"And we offer you our lives, unreservedly." She finished, and raised her sword high.

"Miraz's army will not be far behind us, sire."

"If we are to be ready for them, we need to hurry to find soldiers and weapons. I'm sure they will be here soon."

"Well then. I suppose we'd better get a move on." Willow smiled, and she heard a few laughs echo around the woods. "Come on then." She winked at Caspian, and turned away.

With her back turned to him, she didn't see the faint blush creeping up Caspian's neck.

But Trufflehunter didn't miss it at all.