8 - Battle talk

Caspian was becoming increasingly annoyed at Peter, who seemed to think he was the only royal in charge. The two had been arguing over what to do for some time, and Willow was becoming slightly bored.

"Our only hope is to strike them, before they strike us." Peter told them, and Caspian shook his head.

"That's crazy. No one has ever taken that castle."

"There's always a first time."

"We'll have the element of surprise." The dwarf who was with them, Trumpkin, said, and Peter nodded.

"But we have the advantage here!"

Willow stepped up. "I don't know much about wars, or battles, but don't disregard me, or my opinion, okay? Listen, if we dig in, then we could probably hold them off indefinitely."

Peter glared at her, and Caspian held out a protective hand in front of Willow.

"I, for one, feel a lot safer underground." Trufflehunter argued, and some other Narnians murmured in agreement.

Peter sighed. "Look, I appreciate what you've done here, but this isn't a fortress. It's a tomb."

"Yes, and if they're smart, the Telmarines will just wait and starve us out." Edmund interjected, and Willow shot Caspian a worried glance.

"We could collect nuts! And...throw them at the Telmarines!" An excited squirrel jumped up, and he was greeted with silence from the rest.

"Shut up." Reepicheep scolded, and turned to Peter. "I think you know where I stand, sire."

Peter stared at them for a moment, before turning to the centaurs. "If I get your troops in, can you handle the guards?"

The centaurs eyes flickered from Caspian, then to Willow and finally, back to Peter.
"Or die trying, my liege." He bowed his head, and Willow sighed.

"That's what I'm worried about." Lucy said, and Peter turned to her.

"Sorry?"

"You're all acting like there's only two options. Dying here, or dying there."

"I'm not sure you've been listening-"

"No, you're not listening. Or have you forgotten who really defeated the White Witch, Peter?"

Peter faltered for a second, before standing up taller. "I think we've waited for Aslan long enough." He said firmly, and stalked out the door.

Edmund turned to his sister. "Lucy?"

She caught on quickly. "I'm not staying here, Edmund. I'm not going to just sit around, waiting alone."

"You won't be alone. I'll stay here, with you." Willow said quickly, and Edmund looked at her.

"You can't stay, we need you."

"She can stay if she wants to stay." Caspian interrupted, and Edmund looked slightly hurt at his protective tone of voice.

"But, why don't you want to go?" Edmund asked her, and she paused before answering.

"Miraz's castle is built upon stone. If I came, there would be no forest for me to take hold of, and I would just be a distraction, another one you would have to protect. I can sword fight, but I'm not skilled, and I would probably lose the sword five minutes in." She gave a small smile, but Caspian did not return it.

"If that's how you really feel."

"Don't be like that, Caspian. Besides, someone had to stay and look after our Queen. I have a feeling she'll be important later on." Willow smiled at Lucy, and Lucy brightened up slightly.

She could still sense Caspian was on edge, and she stepped up from the place she was seated at and walked over to him.

"Let's go for a walk."

She looped her arm through his, and led him away from the army, and out the back of the temple. They walked in silence for a bit, until Willow stopped, in a small clearing of trees.

"Caspian, tell me what's wrong."

"Nothing's wrong." He mumbled, and Willow folded her arms.

"You lie worse than I do. What's wrong?" She asked again, and her voice was slightly harsher than before. Caspian took it as a warning sign, and decided to answer properly.

"I can't help feeling like it's going to go wrong. And I'm glad the kings and queens are here, but I don't want to put the Narnians in danger."

"I see. Do you think that Peter feels the same way?"

"How could he? He abandoned us for 1,300 years! The Narnians became a myth, and now he expects them to just give up their lives?!"

"Caspian, listen to me. I think your plan is better, and safer, but Peter has a point. And you don't want to make an enemy out of the High King. You're a king too, or...you will be, when we win, but you have to understand that peace must be made, before we can fight as one."

"When did you get so wise?"

"Don't ask me, I've lived with a badger for 17 years." She laughed quietly, and he did too.

"Thank you, Willow."

She smiled at him, and he returned it.

"You have a beautiful smile." He whispered, and Caspian watched in amusement as the grass beneath Willow's feet turned a violent pink, as she blushed and faced away.

"Thank you." She mumbled, and he took her hand, pulling her towards him. He brushed the hair out of her face, and leant in, and she gazed into his eyes, and-

"Caspian?" Edmund shouted, and the pair sprang apart, and faced the boy.

"What is it?" Caspian asked, slightly annoyed.

"Peter wants you." He said, and Caspian's frown deepened. Willow made a branch climb up and tug at his sleeve, which made him look at her.
She gave him a hard stare, and he sighed before turning back to Edmund.

"I'll be there in a minute!" He called, and Edmund, satisfied with his answer, walked off again.

"I assume that means we're going into battle." He muttered, and Willow walked over to him again.
She grew a white rose in her hand, and fastened it safely onto his chest plate.

"For luck." She said, and he smiled. He quickly, so fast it might not have even happened, leant down and kissed her cheek, before turning around and walking away.

"For luck." She heard him say, and the grass below her feet once again turned a pretty pink.